Noble Dreams

Noble Dreams

You are not logged in.

#1 Mon 20th Apr 2009 03:16 pm

SW

Female Quest for the Holy Grail

Some "fishy" thoughts and insights to the "Grail" and the Fisher King

http://www.book-of-thoth.com/article1609.html
The Film "Big Fish" as a Grail Quest of Epic Proportions.
By hesper79

The Challenge

The challenge which originally prompted this article was to identify the symbolic parallels between the Grail myth and the mythical adventures of the character of Edward Bloom in the film "Big Fish". Pursuing this challenge turned out to provide me with some interesting insights into that most mysterious symbol of ultimate healing power: The Holy Grail.

The story presented in the film "Big Fish" suggests that the Grail’s ability to ’heal’ both the king and the land is based on an aspect of the Grail’s symbolism which represents the re-empowerment of the Feminine Principle, and there are definite parallels to this level of the ’Grail quest’ in the mythology presented in the film. This Grail/fish connection has appeared before in an Irish precursor to the Grail myth, called "The Salmon of Wisdom" in which the role of the Grail is played by a fish.

The Feminine Aspect of the Grail Symbol

In my own opinion, the recognition and honoring of the Feminine Principle (which is one aspect of what the symbol of the Grail represents) is exactly what we so desperately need at this point in our history if we hope to be able to disarm the out-of-control, so-called ’patriarchal’ reign of terror which seems to be well on its way now to actually destroying our planet.

I consider the situation we find ourselves in today to be the inevitable end result of at least two and a half thousand years of cultural domination by a developmental stage of human consciousness which reflects the value system of a now fully developed Masculine Principle which is not negative in itself, but which has become unbalanced because it has deprived itself of the necessary equal influence of the Feminine Principle. Qualities which the collective human consciousness represses often appear in symbolic forms which seem to possess a magnetic attraction because they represent elements which the conscious perspective has great need of in order to restore itself to balance. The symbol of The Holy Grail is a perfect example of this.

Although I believe it’s ultimately a symbol of enlightenment, my understanding is that the Grail primarily took the form of a feminine symbol, the Chalice, because until the Feminine Principle is consciously valued and lived out equally with the Masculine Principle, the Sacred Marriage of equals (alchemical conjunction), which is a primary prerequisite for the ultimate stage of the transformation of human consciousness which is enlightenment, cannot take place. The ultimate goal of the quest is expressed in the Grail Myth in the reminder given to the Grail King: "You and the Land are One" which represents the ultimate state of Unity which the Grail both represents and is able to awaken in the consciousness of the seeker who is prepared to encounter it.(more at link)

Big Fish is a most wonderful movie that I have watched quite a few times and each time I discover some new aspect that I never even considered before. I love this movie!

Could Big Fish be a metaphor for the Age of Pisces, and what is this strange use of water as a doorway or Stargate? Towards the end we see Edward Bloom in the bathtub, and when his wife sees him he says "I felt like I was drying out." He, the Big Fish, is waiting to be taken into the ocean. His entire life he wanted to leave the "Little Pond". Was the Age of Aquarius that ocean he sought?

For instance in the film “Jacobs Ladder??? Tim Robbins becomes feverish and is placed in a bathtub of cold water and ice where he is then transported to another reality where the previous experiences were merely a dream. In “Resident Evil???, Alice wakes up on the floor of a shower and in “Constantine??? Keano Reaves uses water to transport himself to the hell dimension, etc, John the Baptist and baptisms, Holy Water.

And jumping ahead of myself, but "mer" and the Grail, mermaids, Merovingians, Mary Magdalene,

But back to Big Fish -
some lines from the movie (oh I could go on and on here)

"The thing about Icebergs is you only see is 10%, the remaining 90% is below water where you can´t see it. That´s the thing about you, Dad, I am only seeing the little bit of you that sticks above the water. I have no idea who you are because you´ve never told me a single fact.

I´ve told you a thousand facts, that´s what I do, I tell stories.

You tell lies, Dad. You tell amusing lies. Stories are what you tell a five year old at bedtime, they are not elaborate mythologies that you maintain between when your son is 10 and 15, and 20, and 30, and I believed you. I believed your stories so much longer than I should have. Then when I realised everything you said was impossible I felt like a fool to have trusted you. You are like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny combined, you are just as charming, just as fake.

You are calling me a fake?

Look. I am about to have a child of my own and it would kill me if he went through his life never understanding me.

It would kill you? What do you want, Will? Who do you want me to be?

Just yourself. Good, bad, everything. Just show me who you are for once.

I have been nothing but myself since the day I was born and if you can´t see that, it´s your failing, not mine!

I´ve been thirsty all my life."

A most wonderful movie that I will never tire of watching.

HOPE is the thing with feathers   
That perches in the soul,   
And sings the tune without the words,   
And never stops at all        Emily Dickinson

#2 Wed 6th May 2009 06:19 am

SW

Re: Female Quest for the Holy Grail

http://www.metahistory.org/SacredLoveLight.php

Sacred Love, Sacred Light

How the Girl and the Grail Came Together

Both in its historical origins and its literary dimensions, Arthurian legend is a reflection of the survival of knowledge and practice from the Mysteries, though not of the Mysteries themselves. The Mysteries were institutions of initiation and education derived from a long tradition of shamanic practices in Europa and the Near East. In structure and function, they may be compared to a modern university system. Imagine that all the classrooms, libraries, educational and training facilities, laboratories, lecture halls, faculty offices, etc. of such a system were destroyed. The collegial network for higher education in the classical world was totally eradicated with the rise of Christianity. With it went the ancient network of Mystery cells, and the method of shamanic initiation practiced in those cells.

Ecofeminism asserts that the view of nature and the social treatment of women are always intertwined. In the Middle Ages, women were regarded on the one hand as property, and on the other as dangerous animals to be feared, confined, and controlled. The image of women in feudal times is a cliche, but not an entirely inaccurate one. Chastity-belts were more than symbolic icons of the day. We are told that women were locked into these devices when their husbands went off to the Crusades. This happened of course rather late in the Middle Ages. The Crusades were mounted around a nodal moment, 1202. In preceding centuries, the confinement of women had not been so extreme, but it became more and more brutal and rigorous as the power of Christianity advanced.

#3 Sun 17th May 2009 07:28 am

SW

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090517/ap_ … _preakness
Girl Power: Filly Rachel Alexandra makes history

BALTIMORE – Girls rule! The best 3-year-old in the land just happens to be a filly named Rachel Alexandra. Jockey Calvin Borel all but guaranteed victory in the Preakness Stakes and, boy, did she deliver, becoming the first filly in 85 years to win the second leg of the Triple Crown.

Rachel Alexandra, marked by two white spots on her head, wasn't even supposed to be in the Preakness. Her original owners, who named the filly after a 13-year-old granddaughter, didn't nominate her to the Triple Crown races, believing fillies should run only against their own gender.

I find reading the news and deciphering it as to what is really going on, opens your mind to the fact that our reality is deeper, richer and more wonderful than the straight left brain thinkers can possibly imagine.

I propose there just might be a proof of changes going on in the underground well of our reality. And the question remains are we up for it? Girl Power? Was it also a sign that last year Eight Belles, another female who won broke both her legs and was put down on the spot? Is there a secret war against women that is being played out and expressing itself in things like horse races? Well magical thinkers like me, say yes.

Last night I attended a women only event at my local Harley Motorcyle Dealer. There were over 30 of us, all ages, colors, shapes and sizes. But riding a motorcycle is a wonderful experience and the male dominated Harley company has realized that women are great customers. The Harley company is now full of women executives and may soon even dominate the company. All black leather clothing and black t-shirts have given way to purple, blue and yes pink. At our women's only event last night we learned how to pick up a fallen motorcyle weighing almost 700 lbs using our brains and geometry not brawn. Every single one of us picked it up no problem.

I have a wonderful husband who encourages me in all things, and I have been riding for over 20 years, and I love the way the motorcyle world has changed because of us.

If you are interested here are some women rider stories from HD
http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Cont … Promo=true

http://www.leadershipturn.com/leadershi … the-world/
Leadership's Future Will Women Run the World

http://www.livescience.com/culture/0905 … venge.html
Lessons from Earth's Most Murderous People (men)

#4 Fri 22nd May 2009 06:52 am

SW

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/pr … =a-section

BALTIMORE—By becoming the first filly to win the Preakness Stakes in 85 years, thoroughbred Rachel Alexandra inspired millions of women Saturday to believe that they too could one day win the legendary horse race.

"The Preakness Stakes has been dominated by male horses for decades," said Melissa Snow, an advocate for gender equality in sports. "Rachel Alexandra's incredible triumph represents a change in the status quo—a change that will inspire women for generations to come."

"Finally, women have an athletic role model whose esteemed hoofprints they can follow to greatness," Snow added. "It won't be long before a woman trots out to the winner's circle to have the coveted garland of black-eyed Susans placed around her neck."

According to the filly's spokesperson, Diane Pearce, the thoroughbred's incredible feat of finishing the race with a 1:55.08 time after starting from the unfavorable 13th post will serve as a great motivation to women, because it shows that anything is possible as long as they train hard, gallop with all their heart, and eat all their hay.

"Rachel Alexandra has shattered the perception of the role of female athletes in horse racing," Pearce said. "When she crossed the line, no one cared about her looks or how much she weighed—they only cared that she won. Do you know what that means for a female in today's society? This victory was for any woman who has been dreaming since she was a little girl of rounding that final turn, racing neck and neck with a colt, and then sticking out her muzzle to win in a photo finish."

Karen Lucero, 22, told reporters that narrow-minded preconceptions about women's roles have kept her from ever entering the Preakness, with trainers, friends, and family telling her for years that it would be impossible for her to compete on a 1-and-3/16-mile dirt track against a 1,500-pound quadruped. However, after Rachel Alexandra's victory in the second leg of the Triple Crown, Lucero has chosen to ignore her detractors' claims that, as a woman, she lacks the necessary strength, speed, and number of legs.

"If I listened to everything people said, I'd never accomplish anything," Lucero said. "The important thing is that you give it your best no matter what, even if sometimes you finish five minutes after the horses or get trampled coming out of the gate."

"You can never give up," she continued. "If you pick yourself off the ground and keep on going, you just might give a little extra encouragement to a young girl or foal watching the Preakness on television."

While Rachel Alexandra's milestone achievement has eliminated numerous barriers and elevated the status of females in the sport, women claim that numerous obstacles remain, as racing insiders often treat women as if they do not belong on the horseracing track. An overwhelming majority of the women competing in the Preakness said that none of the male horses ever spoke to them except in terse, almost animalistic snorting noises.

However, not all women are impressed with Rachel Alexandra's win. Members of the Radical Feminist Foundation have attempted to discredit Rachel Alexandra's victory by noting that a man controlled the filly during the entirety of the race. The Berkeley-based group also asserted that her deliberate willingness to be subjugated by jockey Calvin Borel, who rode on top of her back and forced the thoroughbred to travel in the direction and at the speed he determined, had not done anything to further the women's movement. RFF president Robin Kaplan said that, by allowing Borel to not only control but possibly even beat her, Rachel Alexandra had tacitly endorsed the oppression of females.

"This is a despicable effort to advocate the patriarchal power structure," RFF vice president Robin Kaplan said. "That stupid horse has set feminism back 50 years."

#5 Tue 9th Jun 2009 06:16 am

SW

Make no mistake, the Quest is not a pretty fairy tale for children. It is a serious undertaking. The process is full of trials and tribulations. We are tested severely and ruthlessly but with mercy. We are allowed to try again.

That is what happens to Parsifal. Through the ignorance of innocence, he fails to ask the Question and is expelled. Yet ultimately he triumphs. He attains the Grail, and for his reward, he becomes the Guardian of the Grail. He does this by treading every weary path and performing every task demanded of him. The Tree of Life gives us a good map to the inner world so we can follow him. He remains the Guardian for 7 years and then a hermit takes him to the forest. Parsifal brings the Cup, the Spear and the Dish with him. He lives as a hermit for 10 years.

Another version of his name is Percival which can be interpreted as "Pierce-the veil". He is also a Son of a Widow. This is a mystery and is part of the initiatory process. The original Widow in the western esoteric tradition was Isis. At present she is referred to simply as the Goddess. She rules the physical universe and its subtle realms. She appears before the initiate partially covered by a black veil that is the fabric of space and time. The weave of the veil unifies all existence into ONENESS. This weave is currently being examined by materialist science in its own quest for a unified theory of quantum mechanics on the one hand and the space/time of Einstein, on the other. As Parsifal, we seek God but only see the veil. When we look at the material universe we can only see trees, oceans, buildings etc. But the initiate who has already transcended the normal world by properly commencing the Quest, will see the material universe as a partially veiled woman. The initiate sees partially but not completely, the totality of beauty and truth. When the initiate attains reality, the veil is lifted.

The initiate is now an adept. He sees truth directly and understands nature in her true form. He can approach God without the separation imposed by the space/time continuum and its quantum mechanics weave.

Parsifal is piercing the veil as opposed to lifting it. In piercing the veil he seeks God rather than the Goddess. This is an important distinction because as we see the world, God is considered to be unknowable and it is therefore arrogant to try to perceive beyond God's creation. However Parsifal is the Fool and does not know this. Accordingly, he is not limited by the belief that he cannot seek God. That is why the Fool becomes a Grail winner. To be the Fool, is not to be foolish!

http://www.crcsite.org/preface.htm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Connie1947/varocalllallamada-1.jpg

The quester is dressed in an incandescent flame-like garment. Her red hair reaches up to and wraps around the largest celestial body in the dark sky. She moves forward swiftly, carrying a vial of precious fluid and wearing an alchemist's mortar around her neck. The citizens, so immobile that they have become part of the city walls, indicate no awareness of her presence. No one acknowledges her triumph, her apotheosis as a goddess of fire or as a spiritual alchemist who has produced the elixir of life."

#6 Wed 10th Jun 2009 03:56 pm

SHUSAFLYIN

RFF Pres Kaplan - calling a horse stupid?    Obviously that person has never owned one - they are very brilliant, honest, intuitive, loving animals -  so much
idiocy in the world!!!

#7 Thu 11th Jun 2009 04:46 pm

SW

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Connie1947/Wounded-angel-L-4.jpg

#8 Wed 1st Jul 2009 06:44 am

SW

http://www.youtube.com/apowerfulnoise

A Powerful Noise

A documentary film about women changing the world.
Their stories will inspire you to join them

A Powerful Noise takes you inside the lives of three women - in Mali, Vietnam and Bosnia - as they overcome seemingly insurmountable odds to create lasting change in their communities.

» SPEAK OUT on behalf of impoverished women.
» DONATE to projects that help empower women and girls.
» BUY a DVD and download the soundtrack!

#9 Sun 26th Jul 2009 07:32 am

SW

A parable:

At the building of King Solomon's Temple, one of the workmen had his lunch brought to him each day by his daughter. She would sit and watch him, and eventually she asked if she could try her hand at cutting stone. At first he thought she was foolish, for this was man's work, but she persisted, and he could not resist her. He showed her how to shape the stone, and it soon became apparent that she had a natural talent. While she was not as strong as the young men, she had a surer touch than most.

There was not much that escaped the eye of Hiram Abif, as he oversaw the work. He saw how the girl helped her father, and how she improved day by day. Finally, Hiram Abif bade her father to bring her to a meeting of the workmen on the ground floor of King Solomon's Temple. She feared that he would chastise her, but to everyone's surprise, he insisted that she be initiated as an Entered Apprentice. No one dared to dispute the will of Hiram Abif, and it was done as he said. After the meeting, Adoniram came up to Hiram Abif and said, "How could you do this? From time immemorial only men have been initiated as Masons. It is against all our ancient landmarks." Hiram Abif smiled, and said, "It wasn't my idea. God made her a Mason. I just agreed to help her improve herself in Masonry."

- Written by Bro. Clarence Anderson

Many folk think that women cannot be Masons because there is something that they cannot understand, or some other such. That is patently not the case. There is a certain value to Masonic teachings that a man cannot hope to understand if he is unwilling to access his intuitive and empathetic faculties, which are distinctly feminine (it's only my belief). Not female, feminine. Some people don't realize that there is a difference between female and feminine, or male and masculine. Their misfortune.

Now, it is true that there are certain physiological and psychological/spiritual energies that do not mix for the optimum in all circumstances; let me give you a basic example of what I mean as it occurs in magnetism. Magnets are basically pieces of iron or steel that have the molecules organized in such a way that they promote rather than obstruct the flow of magnetic force through the iron. We call the flow of this force the lines of flux, and it flows from south to north in all magnets.

The effect of the south pole of a magnet is physiologically determined, because the south pole of a magnet *receives* lines of flux. The lines of flux emanate *from* the north pole of a magnet, and it is this way with *every* magnet, no matter where you find it. This is a matter of physics. Thus, whenever you put two north poles together, they repel one another, and with two south poles each is trying to receive an energy that neither is radiating, so there is no force of attraction.

When you put a south and a north pole together, they attract because the lines of flux, or magnetic force, come from the north pole, and go directly into the south pole, strengthening the bond between the two. If the magnets are electro-energized (as in an inductor, or coil), then the magnetic effect is even more pronounced. This is one of the sources of the term, "rule of thumb."

So it is no different with male and female human beings. We also have energies that are specific to our genders. It is not because a woman cannot understand the teachings, it's because the energy of women is different from the energy of men, and the Lodge is intended to help men develop their psycho-spiritual character. Now, the argument could be made that in a Lodge of men, the female energy would be deleterious, and that in a Lodge of women, a male's energy would be deleterious, and that the work takes on a different energy with different results if you have a mixed Lodge. I believe that I probably agree with that more than I disagree.

There is a modern myth that women and men are equal. This is one of the biggest lies that has emerged in recent times. Some would be upset with my stating this, but that doesn't make it any less true. Equality is a mathematical concept, and there are no two human beings that are equal. However, there is a kind of equality that pertains to the inherent human value of each person. There is a social equality, in that sense. The social role assignment was anciently assigned with an acknowledgement and an understanding of where people's strengths were. From the remotest antiquity, there have been men's mysteries, and women's mysteries.

There are physiological differences in even the brains of men and women, which you can probably still catch on the Discovery Channel, where there is currently a genetic science series called _How to Make a Human_ (I believe that's the correct title). Not only are the physical brains different, but the processing of thoughts follows a different methodology, and the use of various faculties is different also. Neither is inherently superior to the other, each is simply different than the other.

The form of the Lodge is that there is a balance of feminine and masculine energies in terms of planetary assignments, physiological correspondences of the Officers, etc. A portion of the physical Lodge is assigned to the feminine energy, another to the masculine. The Work is intended to teach us to discern these energies within ourselves, and to learn by the use of certain processes (analogized as tools) to integrate and balance these energies to become effective human beings.

To be quite frank with you, too many Brothers and Sisters aren't yet of sufficient emotional maturity to able to be in the same vicinity with members of the opposite gender to retain focus on this kind of Work; the distraction factor is legendary in some quarters. I know that someone could perhaps take great exception to my saying that, but you and I have been around for a few years, and we both know of any number of examples of this that we've observed and the impact of this that we've independently discerned.

Perhaps if you would pick up _Medicine Woman_ by Lynn Andrews, you will see more directly where I am trying to point you. It's available at Amazon.com.

The women's Lodges that I know of, and the women Masons of my acquaintance, have no desire to have men work in their Lodges with them. They also have no desire to work in men's Lodges. This is why they have formed their own.

Several of the women Masons I know of are also Sisters of OES. I'm neither advocating nor recommending it, and I'm not saying anything else about it either, except that it is so; the fact of its existence. I state this as an observation, not as a judgment. Let everyone else judge for themselves, if judge they must. I have known of some of the negative comments and/or treatments, and my point of view is that basic courtesies ought to still prevail. We are known to be thus and so not by what we say, but by what we do.

If we are not capable of displaying the basic courtesy that every human being warrants simply because of their humanity, then all of our Masonry has not taught us much. I think that we're safe enough to do at least that much, since no lady Masons want to come into our Lodges, and no lady Masons are asking that we come into theirs. There are issues of territorial jurisdiction that some people would raise, but this question does not involve the particular territory that you might have otherwise considered them to be speaking of.

There are also issues of origin; issues of whether the Regius Manuscript actually has references to a time when there were female Masons, etc. The fact is that there are lady Masons in existence, some jurisdictions for longer than many of the mainstream or Prince Hall jurisdictions, or any of their derivatives. History is history; whether we accept its validity is another question.

Fraternally,

.·. Rashied ~

http://www.mastersjewel.com/masons/symbols/women.htm

#10 Sun 26th Jul 2009 11:33 am

SW

Speechless, 26 June 2009
10/10
Author: wittnessing101 from United States

This film is breathtaking beyond words. It honestly left me speechless. I struggle even to put this review into words. It show's the brutal reality of abuse and discrimination in a powerful way. The tears in the eyes of Soraya's children after she is publicly executed. The anger in the eyes and hearts of the men as they kill her. A lot could be said of the stunning performances, the brilliant writing etc. But this movie has something that goes far beyond entertainment and artistic value. It gives a glimmer of hope to those suffering this kind of abuse through out the world. It takes a megaphone to a sleeping culture and says "You shall not be forgotten".

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi559874841/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1277737/

The Stoning of Soraya M (based on a true story)

Board footer