You are not logged in.

#11 Wed 19th Aug 2009 06:35 am

SW

Re: Female Quest for the Holy Grail

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Connie1947/roadtrip2-4.jpg

A Homily for The Assumption of Sophia
by Rev. Steven Marshall

Rising into the Light

August 15th is the traditional date for the feast of the Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary in the Roman Catholic Church and the Dormition of Mary in the Orthodox Church. The feast commemorates the assumption of Mary into Heaven at the end of her earthly life. It was not until the year1950 that the doctrine of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary was made a dogma in the Roman Catholic Church, yet her feast goes back to the middle ages. According to C.G. Jung the proclamation by the Pope was accompanied by visionary revelations of the Blessed Virgin to himself and others. This suggests that the image of the Assumption of Mary relates to a phenomenon of the archetypal feminine in successive experiences of a revelatory nature. The story of the Ascension of Sophia, originating in the fourth century, predates the Feast of the Assumption by many centuries, and yet its imagery seems to be the archetype upon which later revelations about Mary are patterned. For this reason, it seems apt  as Gnostics, to celebrate the Ascension of Sophia, on the Sunday nearest the feast day of the Assumption. The story of Sophia in many ways prefigures the Marian myth that has grown throughout the history of Western civilization. Her image is the archetypal mystery that is closest to us in our terrestrial existence.

The story of Sophia is the story of our own soul. Her ascent follows her descent, but like our own journey, it is not an easy climb. The descent is like a lightning flash, but the ascent is a slow and winding path, like that of the Serpent of Wisdom on the Tree of Life. The Logos does not reach down and immediately pull Sophia out of the chaos of the lower worlds. Her assumption back into the Pleroma is a gradual and incremental process. The Redeemer raises her just a little at the first. She is aware that things are better, that her tormenters, the archons are farther from her, but she does not know who her helper is, nor can she see him. Eventually, after several incremental steps out of the chaos of matter, the Helper is revealed to her. She sees the Logos revealed in all his dazzling glory. At first she feels ashamed and covers herself with a veil, but when she sees the virile emanations of his light-power, she can hold back no longer and  rushes to his embrace. In their ecstatic reunion, a fountain of light-sparks pours forth between them, which showers the world with its redemptive seed to empower all of the exiled light of Sophia to return to the Height. With their reunion so consummated in the bridechamber of light he brings her finally into the Height and back to her aeon in the Pleroma.

Sophia is named Pistis Sophia or Faithful Sophia. She was never defiled by the archons, she remained a virgin-power, because she kept faith in the Light; she remained faithful. Though she was betrayed by the false Light of the Chief Archon, the Arrogant One, she never lost her longing for the Light of the Father, the Alone-Begotten, the First Mystery.

So there exists within us a divine spark, a beautiful pearl, unsullied, undefiled by the world and the chaos of matter. This is the priceless pearl, the light of the Gnosis for which we strive, and which in itself is the source of our own longing for the Light of the Pleroma. Though we can effectively approach these mysteries psychologically, Sophia is not just a “head trip.??? Neither is our own divine Self a psychological head trip. The things of archetypal, spiritual reality are as real if not more real and more lasting than our physical sensate reality. The Gnosis is a knowing of the heart, not a knowing of the senses. Though sensate experience can be a valuable avenue to Gnosis, the aim and direction of the experience must be on something transcendent and outside of this world. Gnosis requires an experience of the archetypal bedrock of reality, which can not simply be taught in a workshop, lecture hall or classroom. It is a long and winding road to Gnosis.

Many maps of the journey have been left by those who have been “there and back again,??? as the original title of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit describes. The story of Sophia is one of those maps. It shows how we got here and how we can return to the Fullness of the Pleroma. Certainly, we can make up our own maps, very beautiful, politically correct, wonderfully creative, but if those making the map do not clearly remember the way, these made up maps are not going to get us back to the Light. Other naive approaches include simply picking the parts of the map we like, or picking a piece from this map of one terrain and another from that of another terrain, either of which appreoaches must ultimately fail to get us to the sought for destination. This is not to say that we must restrict ourselves to following only one spiritual path and symbol system; the more maps we can use, the more terrain we can know and experience in finding our way out of the chaos. But, if a map is to be useful on the journey of the soul, it must be from one who truly knows the way, and it must be maintained in the integrity of the one who made it.

The map must describe the journey from where we are; it must include both our starting point, the goal and the way between them. Like a treasure map that says take so many paces this direction and so many paces another direction, it only works if we start from the right place. But we need more than a map. If that was all that was needed we could more easily blaze our own trails back to the Light. We require also a spiritual energy, a light-power, to be able to see the path ahead and follow the markers along the way. The world in which we live is a dark place, unless we have a spiritual light to illumine it for us. If we can not even see the spiritual reality of ourselves or those closest to us, how can we possibly see our way back to the Light. We can but stumble about in the darkness following the voices of attachment and despair.

We lack sufficient light-power to see who we are and a mirror by which we can see our Self reflected. This is why the Logos says in the Acts of John, “I am a lamp to thee who seest me. I am a mirror to thee who understandest me.??? As put forth in the writings of Mani, the Savior comes not only at the right time but at the right place as well. The Messenger of Light, the Savior, comes to us at the place where our journey back to the Light begins. Our ascent begins where our descent ends, at the very bottom, in the furthest depths of the chaos.

The Logos does not bring Sophia out of the chaos by immediately grasping her back into the Pleroma but by restoring her light-power little by little, by revealing to her who she is. So it is in our own souls; the Messenger of Light comes to give us the light to see who we are as spiritual beings, and being akin to that Light, we mystically and simultaneously know both the beginning and end of our spiritual journey within our very Self.

The Christ is the alchemical stone and the Self, the true, constellating center of the psyche, a real, unique and yet universal being, which both surrounds and penetrates us from the very core of our own being. Like Sophia we are mostly and usually unaware of our divine helper. As we become aware of this presence, this mysterious other, we must acknowledge that it is not simply a state of consciousness that the ego may eventually evolve to; we recognize that the ego personality can serve to mediate our true center in the outer world, but it cannot accomplish the redemptive soul-making work of the Self, the Christ within. The ego cannot by itself lift us out of the chaos; it cannot save itself from its own condition—something outside of the ego is required.

The error of the ego is ignorance of any power above it. This also is the error of the Demiurge in the story of Sophia. The demiurge forgets his Mother Sophia who engendered him, when he arrogantly proclaims, “There are no gods before me.??? The supernal Sophia then calls from the height to remind him, “You lie, Samael (blind god), there is the Man and there is the Son of Man.??? In the same fashion, the demiurgic arrogance of the ego considers itself to be the sole power in the psyche, unneeding of redemption or sufficient to the task itself, whether alone or in a group of other egos all attempting to lift themselves by their own bootstraps and remaining in the chaos together. Christ consciousness is the conscious expression of a real being, the true royal Selfhood, which includes and transcends the ego personality. It does not displace or take over the ego personality but has access to the totality of the psyche, with knowledge, experience, understanding and compassion that is far beyond what the ego alone can possibly know.

By her descent Sophia gives birth to the Demiurge, who like the ego personality, can take command of life in the material world but is incomplete and deficient. The entire story of the descent and ascent of Sophia represents the great scheme for correcting this deficiency both in ourselves and in the world.

In the Wisdom literature of the Old Testament, Sophia is called “the Mother of fair love, and of patience and perseverance, and of holy hope.??? We must persevere in the work of redemption, the particular task to which we are called, not in response to our ego needs for recognition and greatness but in response to the call of the Holy Spirit who has remained here on earth to give us guidance and spiritual nurturance. We must have the patience to wait for our time to act. We must have holy hope to remember the treasures of the spirit, the Treasury of the Light to which we aspire.

As in the story of Sophia, the Helper comes at the place in our descent where we can acknowledge our powerlessness and regain our remembrance of our Mother Sophia and our faithfulness to the Light. We can not acknowledge our need for redemption until we remember the Light, until we remember who we are and indeed why we descended, the answer to which can only be found in its origin in the Light. And so the Sophia, as our own soul in the chaos of matter, cries, “O Light have mercy upon me, for there is no virtue in the cup of forgetfulness.??? In the heart of the Gnostic, this cry brings forth tears of both sorrow and joy, for they are tears of love and tears of beauty—Sorrow for our condition of alienation in the chaos of the world and joy in our discovery of our long forgotten and true spiritual friend whose beaming radiance reminds us of the Place of Light in which we may be united once again.

One of the values of the story of the Ascent of Sophia, is the portrayal of the Logos as a Hero figure, as Liberator and Lover. The Savior comes to Sophia as the Hero to rescue the damsel in distress, yet he does not pick her up and carry her up; he gives her light-power to rise above the chaos, to become more conscious of who she is in her own power. Her response is gratefulness, greater faith in the Light, and love. Like Sophia, all of our souls are damsels in distress, suffering the distress of the soul not knowing who she is and like Sophia beseiged by material powers. Until our response to receiving that light is an increase in gratefulness, faithfulness, and love, the Liberator and Lover is not revealed to us.

In the Biblical stories and the Gnostic Gospel of Philip, the Christ rescues Mary Magdalen in much the same fashion as in the Ascent of Sophia. Jesus rescues her from ignorance by showing her who she is. By her redemption the Magdalen, like Sophia, becomes the one who redeems. She recognizes in herself the feminine image of hero and savior as she treads down the dragon-faced power and awakens to the love of the Logos. “The Lord loved her more than all the other disciples and kissed her on her mouth often.??? (Gospel of Philip) The image of Jesus kissing Mary Magdalen is an image of the spiritual reality of the redemptive process. Mary Magdalen, Sophia and the Divine Soul within us all recognize that the bridechamber is not complete without herself.

Sophia is the feminine image of the Redeemer because she is the completion of her Redeemer, the Christ. We require a saving power, a Hero-Liberator-Lover and a Sophia, both of which have been denied us in mainstream Christianity. The Christ of mainstream Christianity is often either a suffering victim, a wrathful judge or a namby-pamby Jesus who could not possibly be a hero figure to anyone. The image of the Hero-Christ requires a Sophia.

The story of Sophia is not just a philosophical conundrum or a moral tale. Sophia is the bringing back of the feminine image of the redeemed redeemer, which restores the hero in all of us. We all have within us, regardless of our gender, the potential to be noble knights in service to Our Lady Sophia; we are all, male or female, prepared as a bride to receive the Bridegroom, our true royal Selfhood, the Christ within.

As described so beautifully in a prayer attributed to Valentinus:

“Prepare yourself as a bride receiving her bridegroom, that you may be what I am, and I what you are. Consecrate in your bridechamber the seed of light. Take from me the bridegroom, and receive him and be received by him. Behold Grace has come upon you.???

So may the grace of the one who is full of grace dwell with us and lead us into the Light, that we may find the redeeming power of Sophia within us, where we might put her on as a “robe of honor??? and put her about us as a “crown of joy.???

-- Rev. Steven Marshall

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Connie1947/mag_black-1.gif

In the great collective of our pop culture consciousness these images appear at this time:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Connie1947/madonnachildren1.jpg
Madonna and Children and "Jesus" (yes that's really his name)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Connie1947/madonna.jpg
Madonna in Black

HOPE is the thing with feathers   
That perches in the soul,   
And sings the tune without the words,   
And never stops at all        Emily Dickinson

#12 Wed 19th Aug 2009 12:34 pm

Falvion
gazing into Mystery
Website

hjarta SW hjarta

Galadriel: "And to you, Frodo, I give the light of Earendil, our most beloved star. May it be a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out."

#13 Thu 20th Aug 2009 03:26 am

SiriArc
AD VO ZIN

http://www.nobledreams.co.uk/img/avatars/264.jpg

1   9

N U T S H E L L

http://i27.tinypic.com/igkym8.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/352kgg5.jpg

11   23   11

#14 Tue 1st Sep 2009 07:47 am

11eagle11

I   2nd...3rd...4th...5th...that motion...and on and on ad infinitum...

Love and Gratitude To You SW... hjarta  hjarta  hjarta

And ALL the Women here and Those Women in Their Lives...You ARE the Holy Grail!

http://nigelnessling.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/1200-9001the-birth-of-venus-c-1485-posters.jpg?w=400&h=320

My life and spirit has been enriched beyond words from ALL of the wonderful women in my life...each and every one of them...enrichment so pure it will energize me to the other side...I know this with all of my heart and soul and every fiber of my light being!

Thank You in Wisdom and in Love!!

"Let Your Spirit Soar!"

#15 Fri 4th Sep 2009 07:19 am

SW

11eagle11 wrote:

My life and spirit has been enriched beyond words from ALL of the wonderful women in my life...each and every one of them...enrichment so pure it will energize me to the other side...I know this with all of my heart and soul and every fiber of my light being!

Thank You in Wisdom and in Love!

Thank you, and very nice to meet you. There are so many great people on this forum and it makes me very happy to be here. I have an eclectic group of friends and family, I want so much to share some of things that we discuss here, but all I get is blank stares and giggles. Why is it that face to face we can't talk to each other of these secret mystical things? It does rub my heart raw. But now I have this place of Noble Dreams and we can talk to each other of these things.

Things like this - immediately after reading your comment I found this -

Through the recent journey I've taken through death and life, I have made some discoveries about love.  The first is that love is always there.  Whether we know it or not, we are surrounded by an ocean of love.  Our challenge is not to find love, as though it were a distant, half-mythical goal.  Our challenge is to become aware of love.  Like the object you search the house for and then find was in your pocket all along, love is right with us.  Our task is to abandon the distraction of searching and give ourselves to the love that is always there

Facing Death Finding Love -The Healing Power of Grief & Loss In One Family's Life' (1994) by Dawson Church.  This is mainly a meditation over the author's loss of a new-born child.  Writing of the earlier birth of his other son, in a chapter called 'Welcoming the Soul' --

Perhaps, when reading this, you thought as I did of the scene before the Mirror of Erised where Harry sought the Stone and suddenly found it in his pocket.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Connie1947/MirrorofErised.jpg

The Mirror of Erised is a magic mirror, which, according to Albus Dumbledore, shows the "deepest and most desperate desire of our hearts". The happiest person in the whole world would look in the mirror and see a reflection of exactly the way he or she is. Inscribed across the top of the frame is the following text:

Erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi

Reversing the inscription and rearranging the spaces produces:

I show not your face but your heart's desire

In 1992, the Mirror was the final guardian of the Philosopher's Stone. Dumbledore placed an enchantment on the mirror, hiding the stone inside it and allowing the mirror to transfer it to anyone who wanted to find the stone but not use it. Anybody else would see himself making gold or the Elixir of Life (as Professor Quirrell found out for himself). Initially, the mirror was kept in an un-used classroom and tucked out of sight (by Dumbledore), and was discovered by Harry Potter. Harry proceeded to visit it as much as he could to see his parents' faces. Eventually, Dumbledore stepped in and moved the mirror, concerned about Harry becoming too attached to it. Later, Harry encountered it again, this time focusing on finding the stone, and, uninterested in using the stone for his own purposes, saw his reflection pocketing the stone, at which it magically appeared in his real pocket.[1]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Connie1947/Mirror2.jpg

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Mirror_of_Erised

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Connie1947/Ombra_1.jpg

What the Living Do

Johnny, the kitchen sink has been clogged for days, some utensil probably fell down there.
And the Drano won't work but smells dangerous, and the crusty dishes have piled up

waiting for the plumber I still haven't called. This is the everyday we spoke of.
It's winter again: the sky's a deep headstrong blue, and the sunlight pours through

the open living room windows because the heat's on too high in here, and I can't turn it off.
For weeks now, driving, or dropping a bag of groceries in the street the bag breaking,

I've been thinking: This is what the living do. And yesterday, hurrying along those
wobbly bricks in the Cambridge sidewalk, spilling my coffee down my wrist and sleeve,

I thought it again, and again later, when buying a hairbrush: This is it.
Parking. Slamming the car door shut in the cold. What you called that yearning.

What you finally gave up. We want the spring to come and the winter to pass. We want
whoever to call or not call, a letter, a kiss -- we want more and more and then more of it.

But there are moments, walking, when I catch a glimpse of myself in the window glass,
say, the window of the corner video store, and I'm gripped by a cherishing so deep

for my own blowing hair, chapped face, and unbuttoned coat that I'm speechless:

I am living, I remember you.

~ Marie Howe ~

(What the Living Do: Poems)

#16 Sat 5th Sep 2009 03:19 pm

Charles
Website

Many blessings SW ( ! ),  I've finally bookmarked your blog.  And a delightful to find so many more woman here on this forum.  Count me in.   
I've long assumed that the grail is a woman's womb,  life and love and mystery and future.

We Are One.

#17 Sat 19th Sep 2009 06:40 am

SW

Why women believe that we love them

In this case the title of the newsletter is not right. Since in the previous Warrior of Light Online I said refused to write about the reasons why men love woman (I would be considered a male chauvinist South-American writer who despises the liberation movement of the opposite sex), a reader called Julia decided to do it for me. So now we have the feminine version of why we love women. Of course, I don’t agree with everything, but this is a (relatively) free tribune. Let’s see what Julia has to tell us:

We men love women because they still feel they are adolescents even after they grow old.

Because they smile every time they pass a child.

Because they walk down the street erect, always looking straight ahead, never turning round to say thanks or return the smile or compliment we make when they pass by.

Because they are bold in bed, not because they have a perverse nature but because they want to please us.

Because they do everything necessary for the house to be tidy and perfect, and never expect any recognition for the work they have done.

Because they don’t read pornographic magazines.

Because they don’t complain about the sacrifices they make for the sake of the ideal of beauty, facing up to waxers, Botox injections and menacing machines in gyms.

Because they prefer to eat salads.

Because they draw and paint their faces with the same concentration as Michelangelo working on the Sistine Chapel.

Because if they want to know something about their own appearance, they ask other women and don’t bother us with this type of question.

Because they have their own ways of solving problems, which we never understand, and that makes us mad.

Because they feel compassion, and say “I love you??? precisely when they are beginning to love us less, to make up for what we can feel and notice.

Because sometimes they complain about things that we feel too, such as colds and rheumatic pains, and then we understand that they are people just like us.

Because they write love stories.

Because while our armies invade other countries, they remain firm in their private and inexplicable war to put an end to all the cockroaches in the world.

Because they cry their eyes out when they hear the Rolling Stones singing “Angie???.

Because they are capable of going to work dressed like men, in their delicate little suits, whereas no man would ever dare go to work wearing a skirt.

Because in the movies – and only in the movies – they never take a shower before making love with their partners.

Because they always manage to find a convincing defect when we say that another woman is pretty, making us feel insecure about our taste.

Because they really take seriously everything that is happening in the private lives of celebrities.

Because they manage to fake orgasms with the same artistic quality as the most famous and talented of movie stars.

Because they just love exotic cocktails with different colors and delicate little ornaments, while we always have the same old whiskey.

Because they don’t waste hours thinking about how they are going to approach the pretty young man who has just come on the bus.

Because we came from them, will go back to them, and until that happens, live in orbit around the feminine body and soul.

And I would add: we men love them for being women. As simple as that.
http://www.warriorofthelight.com/engl/index.html

Many blessings SW ( ! ),  I've finally bookmarked your blog.  And a delightful to find so many more woman here on this forum.  Count me in.   
I've long assumed that the grail is a woman's womb,  life and love and mystery and future

Happy also Charles, I agree, how boring life would be if we hadn't tasted that apple!

#18 Wed 7th Oct 2009 06:13 am

SW

http://www.redicecreations.com/article.php?id=8207

The Warrior Archetype and the Reemergence of the Goddess

For the past few thousand years we have lived in a patriarchal paradigm where the masculine has been over emphasized at the expense of the feminine. This has produced not only the oppression of women, constant war and violence but also inner conflict for both men and women as each struggles to be whole human beings in a world where an imbalanced ideal is cherished. The result of the over emphasis on the masculine has resulted in it taking a negative form as the feminine is devalued and even systematically repressed.

This negative masculine form is cut off from its feminine side and so is out of balance and taken to an extreme in a futile attempt to compensate for the lack of grounding in the feminine. This is symbolized by two archetypal patterns in particular, that of the Negative Father and the Warrior.

Ever notice how this reality of ours is filled with Ms and Ws?

Men = Women
Milky Way

Magicians
Warriors

Artificer
The Artificer is a creator of magical items and devices. Unlike the abilities of other spellcasters, the Artificer is a master of magical creation superior to all magic-wielding characters. Although their roots lie in either arcane or divine magic, their talents lie in embedding such magic into useful tools, weapons, and especially their magical constructs and clockwork machines whose operation lies in the manipulation and containment of powerful magic.

http://www.army.mod.uk/reme/soldier/artificer.html

ROYAL ELECTRICAL AND MECHANICAL ENGINEERS • ARTIFICER 

Be selected to train as a REME Artificer and you will find yourself with greater responsibility, enhanced career prospects and better pay.

The route of Artificer is REME's equivalent of a fast-track to promotion and improved pay and prospects.

It's open to all technician and electromechanical trades and soldiers are put forward for selection, but only the top candidates in their field are chosen

Code of the ARTIFICER

Enter the dream cognizer…the grand Artificer makes contact with the dreamer in a physical state of existence. Speaking softly in poetic symbols he stirs the mind of a sleeping soul…filling him full of knowledge deeper than he had ever reflected upon. The cause and effect of reality had never been so filled with amplified knowledge.

The dreamer had been viewing an educational program on television about the works of ancient man in Peru prior to his nightly retirement. He remembers thinking that the creations of those ancients were far too advanced to have been developed by pounding stones together. The perfect 90-degree angles had to be created by high-speed drills. The after-works looked like they were accomplished via laser. The transducer modality of comprehension had caused deep reflection upon his very state of existence.

As he cruised in symbolic animation, worlds melted away and dissolved into new subjects that reflected upon his last thoughts before sleep. The Artificer sought to meld dreams with simulated reality to produce the total message of existence in Time/Space.

The Artificer suggested a means to the viewed end. That civilization was indeed highly advanced more so than that of today…2009. Its means to an end…end to a means of motivation in a physical state was beyond our present understanding. Digression of viewed constructs stepped backwards should suggest the means to an end a psycho cognitive evaluation of existence.

An Exercise to Determine Dominant Archetypes

For purposes of this exercise, we are limiting the archetypes to four major ones: the Warrior, the Martyr, the Orphan, and the Magician. By asking yourself the questions, then comparing your answer to the four possible responses, you can begin to understand which of the four archetypes play the most significant roles in your life.

Do you feel as though you are constantly fighting a current that wants to take you in a direction that you don't want to go? Or do you find that there is a kind of effortlessness in moving towards your desired goals?

The Warrior celebrates the challenge of a struggle and finds satisfaction in achieving his goal against all odds.
The Martyr resents the constant problems that must be overcome. There is so much working against him that he cannot achieve his goal.
The Orphan is afraid and uncertain and needs help in trying to achieve her goal. She can't seem to settle on a particular goal.
The Magician finds opportunities at every turn. By removing obstacles created by fear and insecurity, the Magician sometimes feels as if everything he touches turns to gold. He experiences life as a flow.

Do you find that you spend more time worrying about the future and struggling with the past than you do with embracing the perfection of the moment?

The Warrior believes that his energetic efforts in the present will create the future that he wants.
The Martyr believes that the future will be no better than the past or present, and nothing that he can do will change the outcome. It is his fate.
The Orphan focuses on the imperfections of the moment and has no certainty about future possibilities, because of disappointments in the past.
A Magician trusts in the purpose and meaning of the moment and operates with faith, allowing the perfect workings of the universe to manifest.

Do you live in a state of chronic dissatisfaction about the quality of your life, or do you focus on the small blessings that surround you?

The Warrior works towards improving his life by taking continuous action in the world.
The Martyr feels that her own needs have been overlooked by others and rarely focuses on personal blessings.
The Orphan feels deprived and believes that the world has treated him unfairly, through no fault of his own.
The Magician feels gratitude and is eager to celebrate even the smallest blessing.

What was your response to September 11?

Some Warriors want to protect and defend the US and join in on the military campaigns. Others, who operate with a different kind of Warrior energy, get arrested for anti-war demonstrations and spend a night in jail.
The Martyr is obsessed with the prospects of having to endure the horrors of WWIII.
The Orphan has a hard time functioning and leans on those around her for comfort during this frightening time.
The Magician believes that the tragedies that occurred can lead to greater blessings, and spends her energy transmuting muck to gold through the power of prayer, intention, visualization, and love.

Do you ask for what you need?

The Warrior does not ask for help but celebrates her independence and prefers to rely on her own abilities to get what she needs.
The Martyr doesn't ask because there would be no point. Since no one has ever offered help in the past there is no reason to believe that anyone would offer help in the future.
The Orphan doesn't always understand what she needs. She may ask for what she needs in a form that is too specific and as a result she feels that she never gets what she really wants. What she receives is never enough and so she is always in need.
The Magician fully expects to receive what she needs and is open to all opportunities that come her way. She clearly asks for what she wants and puts it out to the universe in broad terms, so that she is rarely disappointed.

If you are faced with a major illness, how do you react?

The Warrior does not complain about the loss but forges ahead, determined to overcome his misfortune.
The Martyr asks over and over "Why me?" Deep down, she knows that she always secretly expected that this sort of thing would happen and the physical pain actually gives some relief to her intense emotional suffering. She wonders what misfortune will follow this one.
The Orphan believes that his life will never be the same and feels hopeless and victimized.
The Magician knows how to turn around misfortune, so that it becomes an opportunity. The Magician believes that the loss of eyesight, for instance, can lead to the development of other senses, extrasensory perception, and greater inner wisdom. When people ask, "Why did this have to happen to you?" he responds, "Why not me?" He transmutes that which can be changed, and accepts that which cannot.

Do you feel worthy of having a beautiful, abundant life?

The Warrior works hard and deals with continuous challenges, in order to make life the way he would like it to be. His sincere efforts allow him to feel worthy.
The Martyr does not feel that anything will work out for him.
The Orphan believes he can have an abundant life only if he is given the right conditions.
The Magician feels worthy of having a life that is beautiful and abundant, and celebrates the life that he has. The possibilities and opportunities are infinite.

The recession is causing many people to lose jobs. What will you do if you lose yours?

The Warrior prepares for the challenge and energizes himself to pursue every possible lead to find a new job.
The Martyr expected that he would be one of the first to lose his job and is distressed at the prospect of needing to exert enormous efforts to get another one.
The Orphan is frozen in fear and struggles with depression and despair.
The Magician sees the loss of a job as an opportunity to use all the resources she has been endowed with to find another job — one that will be even better than the last. She focuses on what she can create, rather than what has been lost. She knows the importance of relaxing into the flow, and utilizes her gifts of intuition, intelligence, and imagination to create new opportunities.

Throughout history, in all cultures, the Magician is a universal archetype that has existed in the human psyche.[1] As an initiate of secret knowledge, the Magician does not seek to find answers from someone else, but goes within to access inner truths. He or she wastes no energy on fear-based thinking, knowing that we have a co-creative nature and that our thoughts shape reality.

The Magician chooses to live beyond the ordinary, and realizes that the opportunity to enter the realm of the miraculous lies in every choice we make. She knows how to transmute muck into gold, negative into positive.

The traditional hero has been the mythical Warrior. But as traditional models of manhood and patriarchal ideals collapse, and as the violence behind the Warrior's heroic journey is revealed and challenged, our culture has begun to move away from this paradigm.

In The Hero Within, Carol S. Pearson writes that the Warrior Archetype is an elitist myth that "embodies the notion that some people take their heroic journeys while others simply serve and sacrifice." She writes that having a "slaying-the-dragon" paradigm for problem solving will not bring us closer to world peace, or eliminate world hunger.

Unlike the Warrior, who struggles to overcome great challenges, or the Martyr, who has a sense of victimization and believes that she cannot have what she most desires, the Magician believes in infinite potential and possibility. Rather than struggling against the current, she flows with it.

Throughout history, Medicine Men, wizards, shamans, witch doctors, brujos, scientists, doctors, and inventors have been connected to the archetypal pattern of the Magician.

What is an "archetypal shift"?

Theoretical biologist Rupert Sheldrake proposed a theory on how living beings assume new forms. In A New Science of Life: The Hypothesis of Formative Causation (1981), Sheldrake explains that behavior that is repeated often enough forms a "morphogenetic field," a field that generates a new form.

This idea can be applied to the development and emergence of new archetypes. It means that when enough people accept a new pattern of behavior, the scale eventually tilts so that this becomes the accepted way of doing things. It is the "hundredth monkey" hypothesis in action.[2]

The archetypes that become dominant in our own lives are based upon cultural influences as well as our own unique history. And previously, our culture has defined the hero in terms of the archetypal Warrior, who lives life battling a series of challenges.

But now a shift is occurring. The Magician is emerging as an archetype that may play a central role in the Third Millennium. It is beginning to seem that the Magician may soon replace the Warrior as our culture's most important figure.

The Power of Myths

And it may be that the future of our planet will depend upon embracing new archetypes. For besides the violence inherent in the Warrior Archetype, there are other myths that we need to release.

For example, we need to release the myth that the earth provides an infinite wealth of resources. We cannot afford to continue to lose 120 species of life and 200,000 acres of rainforest every 24 hours.

And we need to move beyond the myth described in Genesis that man was given dominion over all things — because this myth has created a world that is out of balance and in disharmony. Humans are not the crown of creation, but exist as one of the jewels in that crown, along with all other life forms. Instead, we need to look at and perhaps embrace myths from older cultures, where all life is considered sacred.

We also need to let go of the myth of original sin, the one that says it was a woman who tempted a man to eat from the tree of knowledge. One fruit of this poisoned tree is that today, right-wing fundamentalist Islamic men are controlling the lives of women because they consider them to be inferior and evil. In Afghanistan, women have experienced extreme segregation and oppression. Fundamentalist groups in Pakistan and Kashmir have thrown acid in the faces of unveiled women. In general, long-term Warriors have a tendency to see women as a corrupting force.

When we understand the myths that are guiding our life and our culture, we can begin to change them. We can free ourselves from undesirable myths and create new ones to guide us through the new millennium.

Hollywood's reluctant Warriors

The second millennium ended with award-winning films like Gladiator and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon that featured reluctant Warrior heroes. The Warrior hero Maximus in Gladiator is tired of warfare and disinterested in power. He doesn't want to take on the role of Emperor of Rome. Although he wants to live a peaceful life in a small village with his wife and child, he is enslaved and forced to continue fighting in the Roman Coliseum.

Like the hero of Gladiator, Li Mu Bai, in the violent and action-packed movie Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, is unable to live the peaceful life he dreams of. He is both Warrior and Wizard, and owns the Green Destiny, a magical and powerful sword. Much like the Ring of Power in Lord of the Rings, or the Force in Star Wars, Green Destiny becomes a power that threatens to consume all those associated with it.

The reluctant heroes of the blockbuster movies Gladiator and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon reflect the mood of a culture that wants to put aside Warrior ways but doesn't know how.

And the answer may lie in the realm of magic. Hollywood's latest releases are focused not on the physical prowess of the Warrior but on the wonders of wizardry.

Hollywood's Magicians and the Dark Side

Whether it is the magic taught at Hogwarts or the techno-wizardry in more sophisticated works of science fiction, people from all walks of life are being drawn to stories about wizardry.

In solving the challenges that confront them, the central characters of the Stars Wars trilogy and the Harry Potter works rely not upon physical abilities but upon an understanding of the deeper mysteries of life.

But some people warn of the dangers that could erupt as a result of the wizardry that is celebrated in the Harry Potter series. They are disturbed that, unlike C.S. Lewis's Narnia series, or J.R.R. Tolkien's Ring Trilogy, in the Harry Potter works there is no God figure that defines morality. They fear that Rowling's "coming of age" story will encourage adolescents to dabble in the occult before they develop a solid foundation of moral values. In some states, religious communities are even burning Harry Potter books in a "holy bonfire."

And it is true that as we begin to embrace the power that is inherent within all of us, we have to address the question as to whether we will use that power for good or for evil. But this question of good or evil use of power is central to the Harry Potter movie, as it is to the other films of wizardry that are emerging at this time.

For example, the audience of Lord of the Rings learns that magical powers can destroy the world. In Tolkien's triology, the hobbit Frodo Baggins inherits the One Ring of Power. He realizes that if the ring falls into the wrong hands it has the power to destroy the Earth. So the story becomes a quest to destroy the ring. And the destroyer of the ring, by that act, is giving up ultimate power for the good of all.

In Lord of the Rings, various characters are tempted by the power of the ring, and we realize that the true battle between good and evil is not so much "out there" as it is within ourselves, as we learn how to choose good over evil.

What all of this brings up is that, like Darth Vader in the Star Wars trilogy and Voldemort in Harry Potter, archetypes can have a negative side as well as a positive one. We see the Shadow Magician at work in the technology of the concentration camps in World War II and in the development of nuclear bombs and biological warfare.

We see dark wizardry at work with Osama bin Laden and the terrorists who may have used nothing more than simple box cutters to take control of powerful and technologically sophisticated superjets and use them as bombs to destroy the Twin Towers and the Pentagon.

The Shadow side of the Wizard is at work whenever knowledge is used for egocentric purposes that harm others and have inhumane effects.

The downfall with dark powers is that, sooner or later, the harm returns to the self.

And so the challenge, faced by all of the Magicians in all of the magical books and movies of the last two decades, from Darth Vader in Star Wars to Boromir in the Lord of the Rings, is to relinquish that false power.

The Archetypes We Live By

In my forthcoming novel, Keepers of the Dream, the prominent archetype that dominates the early years of Eartha Mae's life might be described as the Martyr.[3] She represses her own feelings, sacrifices her health, and focuses on helping others develop while neglecting her own needs.

She transitions out of this stage of her life, and the archetype of the Wanderer becomes dominant in her psyche. During this period, she makes her own way in the world and learns independence.

Then, during her voyage down the Mississippi River, as Eartha Mae begins to discover the depth of her own personal power, she develops qualities of the Magician, and becomes a self-proclaimed Creatrix.

As she journeys from Martyr to Wanderer to Magician, she moves away from victimhood to a place of embracing personal power.

In order to redirect the course of our own lives and reshape the future of our planet, we need to deconstruct old myths and reconstruct new ones. When we become more aware of the myths we live by and the archetypes that dominate our psyche, we can change them by creating a new personal mythology and pulling in the qualities of the new archetype we seek to embrace.

Eartha Mae's journey in my novel is a metaphor for the journey we may all take — an interior journey where we learn about our own guiding myths.

Exploring Your Own Archetypal Patterns

By reflecting on how you think and respond to daily challenges that come your way, you can begin to encourage greater development of the magician archetype in your own life.

Here is an exercise you can use to assist you in this exploration.

Cultivating the Magician Archetype

By looking at the responses to the questions in the archetype exercise, you will see that there are a number of qualities that are essential to the Magician's nature, such as flow, faith, gratitude, love, asking, acceptance, a spirit of worthiness, and imagination. We can begin to develop these qualities, if that is what we wish to do, by shifting the way that we think.

There are practical techniques of "applied mythology" that we can use to achieve this shift. Carol S. Pearson has written an insightful workbook to supplement The Hero Within that helps people understand and reshape the archetypes that are dominant in their lives. Some of her techniques include journaling, meditation, and rituals.

The Mythic Path, by David Feinstein, Ph.D. and Stanley Krippner, Ph.D., charts a 12-week program in revisioning the myths that guide our lives.

Most people already work with some of the qualities of a Magician. But a powerful Magician has fully developed and mastered a number of essential qualities that enable him to access telepathic abilities, time-travel, and supersensory perception. India has nurtured yogins who have amazing powers, or siddhis.

Magic or Miracles

In the final analysis, it seems to be the depth of love and compassion that one feels that distinguishes the self-realized person, who creates miracles, from the magician who merely creates magic.

In his book Twelve Conditions of a Miracle, Dr. Michael Abrams retranslates the Biblical account of the Miracle of the Loaves and Fishes, and discovers that in the original ancient Greek, the techniques for creating miracles are revealed in precise detail. Abrams's twelve conditions truly define the characteristics we need to develop in order to adopt for ourselves the Magician Archetype. To find out more, please see my article about The 12 Conditions of a Miracle elsewhere in this issue of the Spirit of Ma'at.

Synchronicities of Archetypal Images

At the moment of insight, a potential pattern of organized behavior comes into being.
—Rupert Sheldrake
As we become more aware of the Magician Archetype and the possibilities it holds for us, we begin to come into greater contact with it in the people that we meet, in the articles and books that we read, in television, and in films. This interplay between our own personal experiences and events in the external world is an example of our co-creative nature, which implies that psyche and matter interact and are not separate and independent from each other.

Now, during this crucial time in earth's history, when we are dealing with the very real threat of nuclear warfare and bioterrorism, the Magician knows the importance of focusing on the best outcome, and doesn't allow personal energies to be diminished and dissipated by fear.

As we cultivate the Magician Archetype, we change the direction of our own life and influence the course of our planet's evolution.
http://www.spiritofmaat.com/archive/jan2/articles.htm

#19 Thu 8th Oct 2009 03:51 am

SiriArc
AD VO ZIN

http://i38.tinypic.com/nbrq6g.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/23vao7a.jpg

11   23   11

#20 Thu 8th Oct 2009 06:33 am

11eagle11

From SW Recent Post #26:

Magic or Miracles

In the final analysis, it seems to be the depth of love and compassion that one feels that distinguishes the self-realized person, who creates miracles, from the magician who merely creates magic.

In his book Twelve Conditions of a Miracle, Dr. Michael Abrams retranslates the Biblical account of the Miracle of the Loaves and Fishes, and discovers that in the original ancient Greek, the techniques for creating miracles are revealed in precise detail. Abrams's twelve conditions truly define the characteristics we need to develop in order to adopt for ourselves the Magician Archetype. To find out more, please see my article about The 12 Conditions of a Miracle elsewhere in this issue of the Spirit of Ma'at.

Thought I'd bring Abrams' "Twelve Conditions of a Miracle" here in brevity for All to See, SW : ) :
(thanks again for this great thread)

1. The first condition is Emptiness. It involves establishing a condition of stillness, a vacuum. Nature rushes to fill a void.

A vacuum is a very special situation. Because it is empty, it possesses the tremendous potential to be filled. Like a magnet, a vacuum exerts a force that pulls things inexorably toward it. The less a vacuum contains — the emptier it is — the more powerful the attractive force it exerts on the surrounding world.

2. The second condition is Alignment. This means getting your own life and intent to move in the same direction as the universe. This means swimming with the current to its final destination.

Evaluate your dream in terms of whether it will harm you or hinder your progress to a state of compassion. Adjust your course — shift your goal so that you are in alignment with the flow of the universe.

3. The third condition involves Asking. If you know what you really want, and how to ask for it, the universe will fulfill your request with startling accuracy.

Never attempt to ask for anything that is not organically connected to such a higher purpose.

4. The fourth condition involves Maximizing. Expansion of food, that fed the multitude, is an expansion of what already exists, not materialization from nothing.

The universe is very careful. It hates waste. Those who use its precious energy with appropriate gratitude and care are invariably rewarded. Conversely, if you don't use your gifts, you can expect to lose them.

5. The fifth condition involves Giving. The act of giving relieves congestion and stimulates the flow and increase of resources.

6. The sixth condition involves Grounding, at a physical and metaphysical level. As in electrical power, if a circuit is not grounded, currents cannot flow through it.

The power of the current that flows through you will be directly proportional to the strength of your conviction.

7. The seventh condition involves Seeing or Visualizing. Unless the desired end is clearly seen, it cannot be reached.

Even as "the worst" transpires in livid detail before our very eyes, it is an important part of our whole purpose as human beings to learn how to see "the best." That is one of our greatest and most important tasks as humans.

8. The eighth condition is Gratitude. When a human being is in a state of true gratitude, the fabric of time and space is favorably altered.

Divine intelligence generally won't go too far out of its way to provide for you in a miraculous way if you are negative and complacent about the gifts you have already received.

9. The ninth condition involves Acting As If. A person enacting a miracle acts as if the miracle has already occurred. Jesus didn't wait for the bread and fish to multiply — he began to feed the people with what he had.

Spirit helps those who help themselves. The universe funnels its energy into the lives of those who act, those who work, those who make an effort to actually get things accomplished.

10. The tenth condition involves Engaging the Cycle. Energy flows in a cycle or circuit throughout the universe, from the microscopic to the astronomical plane. Only when a person works with a circularity of flow can miracles occur. What goes around comes around.

Every enlightened person in history has tried to tell us that we receive as we give. It will always be true: What goes around comes around.

11. The eleventh condition is Receiving. Often we believe that receiving or accepting what the universe gives may be the easiest part, but often it is the most undeveloped aspect of our evolution. It is about being totally open to what is going to happen. Being ready and willing to accept the flow that comes towards us and enjoying it and being totally conscious of it when it comes.

Remember, Spirit abhors a vacuum. As soon as you prepare an empty container to receive, the universe will automatically begin mobilizing to fill it.

12. The twelfth condition is Recycling. When all of the people had eaten and were finished, the fragments were not left on the ground, but were gathered and recycled. All throughout our ecological and biological system, nature maximizes by recycling everything it possibly can.

What happens after the manifestation has crystallized is just as important as what happens before. The flow of energy must never be abandoned once the dream becomes reality.

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_15/1120746701DjUKgN.jpg
Twelve Conditions of a Miracle by Dr. Michael Abrams:
http://www.netmar.com/~maat/archive/jan2/abrams.htm

"Let Your Spirit Soar!"

Board footer