Noble Dreams

Noble Dreams

You are not logged in.

#11 Sun 22nd May 2011 11:11 pm

universe_communion

Re: Gardens and Gardeners

Thank you for your story, SW. I was stung too, and still feel a bit of that fear whenever I see a wasp/bee/hornet.
For my part, I try to respect their boundaries, so to speak. I know when they're most active, and aim to do my yardwork
before or after their "work." tongue
Here's the thing, if they're buzzing around the outside of the house, especially near heavy-traffic areas, that's when I spray those areas.
There's probably a nature-friendly, non-spray way to encourage them to stay away from the house, but I haven't researched it.
Besides, I still have a half-gallon of spray to use up... retas

Despite the fear that still creeps in, I don't see them as ugly. They are beautiful creatures. For me, the challenge is to look at a spider and recognize its beauty. butter

Last edited by universe_communion (Sun 22nd May 2011 11:13 pm)

#12 Mon 23rd May 2011 06:17 am

SW

Found out that a bird house a friend had given me (a little firehouse) that the birds rejected but the wasps made their new home was sitting on the table and I was in their way. Moved the bird house way way to the back of the yard and no more encounters.

And yes, Tom Paine the psychopaths you are right, one should always be on their guard for them. I read an article over at Montalk's site regarding some humans are just born with no spirit inside, and I agree you can see it in their eyes. And sense it, if you pay attention.

This article is very thought provoking

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/ma … psychopath
How to spot a psychopath

And it seems that in my thoughts our society's  striving for profit, profit at all costs, we have in some way engineered these people to rise to the top and take control of our world.

Last edited by SW (Mon 23rd May 2011 06:18 am)

HOPE is the thing with feathers   
That perches in the soul,   
And sings the tune without the words,   
And never stops at all        Emily Dickinson

#13 Tue 24th May 2011 12:03 pm

Tom Paine
Tom Paine

The PTB only let sociopaths/psychopaths rise to the top.  People who have consciences who rise to
the higher rungs through their own talent are controlled with blackmail.  If they step out of line, then
they get slapped with a rape charge, or have their private lives exposed to the sheeple.  The only
reason Clinton survived the Monica Lewinsky thing was because he was still being a "good boy"
from the viewpoint of the PTB's agenda.

But help is on the way.  The dark at the highest levels has been neutralized and has left.  What is going
on now is that the lower levels of dark ones are running around trying to assert their power in a last
ditch effort to avoid the inevitable when even their dark doings are exposed to the light.

SW, I apologize for semi hijacking your thread with this stuff, but your desire to do good and to be loving
to all things is certainly noble and righteous, but I felt that that attitude does have some blind spots
that needed to be pointed out.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program.

#14 Tue 24th May 2011 05:34 pm

SW

No problem TP. I appreciate your concern. smile

Woot! I am finally selling some of these plants!! storstark

#15 Sun 29th May 2011 04:40 pm

lorae
Website

SW: Oh heck, you've got wasps to eliminate.  How about a really GIANT-sized rattlesnake? 

I absolutely have to whack them with my shovel because I've got doggies.  The little part-Chihuahua is really smart and is my snake-finding dog.  She has a special "snake bark" and is quite good at her job.  Rattlers are difficult to see because they blend in so well.  She kept me from stepping on one two years ago.  Good doggie.

Anyway, this huge snake (2 1/2"-3" diameter, maybe well over a yard long) showed up about 5 p.m. the other day.  By the time I got the dogs in the house and came back it had gone back under the house.  I don't know who was more upset, us or the snake, which had been rattling like crazy.  Gets the adrenalin up, let me tell you.

Sheesh, I had a king snake INSIDE the house last year.  Twice. Friendly critter, I must say. Now I'm a bit worried about the rattler, who seems to have taken up residence.  I keep a shovel handy inside. You never know.

No rattlers last summer, had lots of king snakes about.  But we had below-zero cold here last winter, might have killed off my lovely king snakes. (Completely killed the palo verde trees and giant prickly pear.  Sigh.) I was hoping it had done the same with rattlers....

Two summers ago I had to dispach three or four rattlers about the place.  I hate to kill them, (1) because it's dangerous and (2) I actually LIKE them.  But reality is reality, so they have to go.

FYI: Use a flat-bladed shovel.  Stand WAY back, let the snake strike the shovel blade, then while he's kinda stretched out, quickly use the shovel to whack off his head.  Gotta be careful about disposing of remains because of venum.

----------------
You can trap wasps and hornets in any kind of trap that requires them to fly DOWN to get out of.  We used to make this cylindrical wire mesh trap to hang from trees.
The critters flew in from an opening in the bottom.  (meat for bait)  But once in, they couldn't get out due to the cone-shaped entrance, opening of the cone facing up. 

This was in N. Idaho where in hot summers the bald-headed hornets get really bad and aggressive in the forest.  And we lived in a cabin in the forest (quite near the N. Fork of Coeur d'Alene river), very beautiful.  I grew a marvelous garden with tons of raspberries.

We'd fill several of these large traps within a week or so.  Bald-headed hornets are just awful, they sting you for no reason, and their sting really packs a wallop.  They're quite aggressive and hungry during hot summers.

Last edited by lorae (Sun 29th May 2011 04:45 pm)

#16 Sun 29th May 2011 05:17 pm

lorae
Website

Back to gardening: 

We've had terrible winds this spring, no rain for almost a year.  It's blowing a dry gale of dust and more dust out there now.  Lots of big dust-devils.

AND BUGS!  I lost several plantings before I finally smartened up to diatomiceaus earth.  That fixed the little buggers.  Doggies and I are taking it also.  Great Stuff!

Now the voles are munching my spuds.  Not much I can do about it.  Dogs dig plenty of open pit mines looking for them.  Maybe lots of water?  Anyone?

Today there's no water coming out of the pipe.  It's a community well.

So I've got lots and lots of itsy-bitsy little plants which need water two or three times a day due to the wind, heat and sandy soil.  I'll go out this afternoon late and pour some precious Dawn Water on them.  It's all I've got on hand.

Funny, yesterday I'd planned to fill the doggie pool and a few five-gallon containers with water, just in case, but had a guest for dinner (organic blueberry cobbler with whipped cream for dessert - yummy!) so spaced it.  Well geez, I'd been weed-whacking all morning and was kinda pooped.  I'm within in six months of being seventy years old, for petes sake.

Lost all my peaches, apricots, mulberries and plums to early and severe frosts. But the trees look really great now, just no fruit. I'd covered the grape plants with comforters, but they got it anyway.  Grapes just now recovering, maybe I'll actually get to eat some this year.  Blackberries doing very well, lots of manure, Ironite and watering every other day.  Had to cover them with netting cuz the danged birds were muching them the minute they turned red.

Oh, you should see my birdies: cardinals, orioles, tanagers, blue birds, yellow-breasted chats, etc.; these along with the "regulars": hummers, quail, doves, sparrows, chickadees, grackles, house finches, catus wrens and blackbirds     Lots of really nice ones coming in just this year, Just wonderful.  Partly because Kat disappeared - probably coyote - I miss him, but he just would not stay home. I keep dreaming about him.

The wild desert is full of hungry critters.  My Indian friend told me that the coyotes and wolves are coming down to her place - which is 5 miles from me - from the mountains (big forest fire for weeks) in packs, sometimes seen during daylight.  Lovely.  Hope the mountain lions don't decide to join the fun, they can get quite cheeky. 

Got corn, peppers, beans, squash, muskmelons, cantalope and cukes doing quite well.  Need water every other day, so I have to keep on it.
Oregano and sage doing great, rosemary bush thriving, as usual. Some basil survived the buggies.  FINALLY getting carrots, chard, mustard, basil, beets, etc.  This is my third planting.  I'm slow, but I finally figure things out.

Last edited by lorae (Tue 31st May 2011 07:33 pm)

#17 Sun 29th May 2011 05:57 pm

lorae
Website

Water is back on.  Pretty muddy, but it's wet.  YAY!

Watering like mad, and yes, I'll fill the pool and containers.

Ongoing drama: my old car died.  A friend came to pick it up with his low boy.  We'll get the verdict in a few days.  Out here, I really, really need a vehicle.

Last edited by lorae (Sun 29th May 2011 06:00 pm)

#18 Tue 31st May 2011 07:10 pm

lorae
Website

Lesson: Do NOT plant seeds from unmarked packages.  My string beans are just awful; stringy, bitter and tough.  Oh well, they'll make good mulch...

I planted a lot of corn packed the same way, a large number of seeds in a clear plastic bag, very cheap.  I think I'll get some GOOD seeds and re-plant amongst the corn plants.  In spite of the turkey manure, they don't look too promising anyway.

Yep, I'm guilible.
------------------
Judging from the smoke, the forest fire, "Homestead 2", is still roaring away.  We've had so much wind and no rain. 

The summer, 1974 or thereabouts (God, I'm getting old!), I worked for the Forest Circus, a controlled burn got loose.  This was in late August.  We fought wild fire for months (I wore steel-toed caulk - pronounced "cork" -  boots and a hard hat.  Back then, for smoke, we just wet a bandana from our canteen and put it over the face.  I ran chainsaw, cut fireline with a polaski, etc.  Mainly you had to be alert for falling or rolling trees on fire.  It was actually kinda fun...); the danged thing didn't calm down until fall rains and snow.  Maybe this fire will be like that.

Last edited by lorae (Tue 31st May 2011 07:25 pm)

#19 Wed 1st Jun 2011 05:21 pm

molly
♫♪
Website

Falvion wrote:

And this one's called Ebb Tide.

http://www.rose-gardening-made-easy.com … bbtide.jpg

OOOOOO!! WANT WANT WANT!!! I have never seen or heard of those before! I'm going to have to look into finding some of those....and of course somewhere in the yard to actually put them.

SW congrats on finally selling some of your plants. I hope you sell plenty more! I buy any I need that I can't get grown/started myself from locals as well. The "Little people" tend to have better ones, in my opinion. The only thing I ever bought at a major chain store that was better than a local person is lavender and that's it.

#20 Sun 14th Aug 2011 06:24 am

SW

I was working in my garden yesterday and I swear this year I have the best garden ever. Could that be because I just see it differently, not sure but it's definitely amazing.

Not sure where to put this, but yesterday I am standing with the hose watering and just feeling grand and happy, filled with sunshine. Bees are buzzing and life just felt so grand. I look down where I am watering and a little tiny white ceramic dove from a windchime or something is laying there. Now I can't remember ever having anything with ceramic doves on it. And it just feels so totally awesome wonderful! A gift for me!

I know, I know but still...............

Board footer