#22 Sun 14th Aug 2011 05:04 pm

lorae
Website

Re: Gardens and Gardeners

Wow!

#23 Wed 17th Aug 2011 07:22 am

SW

I used to worry that there was something wrong with me for thinking like this because it is so different from what you are taught to be. But finally I know that there are others and we speak in a language of "birds". And it is joyful beyond belief.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Connie1947/RandomSummer2011photos069-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Connie1947/RandomSummer2011photos070.jpg

This appeared on my radar this morning

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Confer … _the_Birds

Enchanted Island

Enchanted island, emerald island of the gods,
The faces of the divinities lurk everywhere
In a presence imbuing with grace both art and life
In a land in which art is life itself.
A thousand masks, gods and demons abound,
The imaginal world pours forth in countless forms
And the rhythm of the gamelan and the drums,
The beat of that music and that dance
Pervading the heavenly roofs and verdant fields,
Reflecting in their green mirror the infinite sky.
The Divine seems to veil and unveil itself
In myriad forms beyond our ken,
And yet, I see here but the single Face,
The Face of the One cast in so many veils of beauty
In this celestial land of enduring grace
Enchanting the soul through its enthralling magic.

—Seyyed Hossein Nasr, Bali 1993

HOPE is the thing with feathers   
That perches in the soul,   
And sings the tune without the words,   
And never stops at all        Emily Dickinson

#24 Wed 17th Aug 2011 07:44 am

11eagle11

Gloriously Beautiful SW, Thank You For Sharing With Us : )

"Let Your Spirit Soar!"

#25 Mon 12th Sep 2011 05:21 pm

Arrow
Standing At The Portal
Website

Im managing to make about $40 average a week selling at the local farmers market my produce and other stuff I sell. Produce sells like wildfire... $40 doesn't sound like much but we have a population of only 500 people and only a few come to market.... It will surely pay for my garden next year..

It feels good to provide real food to people.

Arrow

And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make.

#26 Mon 12th Sep 2011 09:48 pm

SW

It does feel very good. Definitely won't get rich doing this, except rich in happiness. I love it. I meet the most wonderful people who visit every single Saturday. It's the most wonderful therapy in the world. Growing beautiful things that make me happy and the people who come visit happy. On a really good day I make $50, but usually around $30. But I love it! Thank goodness for my wonderful husband who helps me lug all the stuff there every Saturday rain or shine. He's been very cynical lately, (money problems) but this is good therapy for him too. He's discovered that people really are good and kind and neighborly. I only sell plants because I don't have liability insurance to sell produce. That's a stupid rule for my area. The insurance can cost up $300 for a year. So there goes any chance of profit. And now more and more corporate types are taking over the markets and running them, charging people $800 for the season. Mine is run by the community and is only $10  a Saturday, but I worry that some corporate type will take it over.

I sure hope not! Good luck with your growing Arrow. Keep it local and community run.

#27 Sun 18th Sep 2011 01:29 pm

Arrow
Standing At The Portal
Website

How can a corporate type take over unless one of you locals sell out? If someone came after our farmers market we would railroad them out of town.

Our farmers market fee for the season is $25 plus 5% of gross. My neighbor is president of the market and I am getting the feeling I may be next in line.

We are having a meeting soon to determine what to do with the $500 profit the market made this year.. we are looking at purchasing a large car port canopy that wont blow over in the wind to set up permanently in the summer at our park.
So many vendors have lost money when their canopy was taken down by wind.

I hope to sell more plants next year..and being that we are zone 3 to 4 the options are somewhat limited, espceially when it comes to flowers.. so around here it is good to have other items to sell too. So I sell earrings that I make and homemade liquid soap for women, as well as aprons.

My neighbor sells homemade laundry soap and I highly recommend that you look into making and selling that. She sells alot of it. 180 loads per gallon... 90 minimum.... costs pennies to make. Nieghbors save gallon milk jugs for her. She always sells two or three and sometimes more, at $5 a gallon you will increase your profit considerably. I think we have a thread on it here..... she also sells butcherd frozen rabbit but you have to go to her house to pick it up... which is close by.

Can your homeowner's insurance cover you for liability?

Fortunatley I live in an area where regulations don't mean much because there is no one around to enforce them.

Arrow

And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make.

#28 Tue 1st Nov 2011 06:17 am

SW

http://vimeo.com/27328081

Louie Schwartzberg: The hidden beauty of pollination
by TEDTalks plus

Pollination: it's vital to life on Earth, but largely unseen by the human eye. Filmmaker Louie Schwartzberg shows us the intricate world of pollen and pollinators with gorgeous high-speed images from his film "Wings of Life," inspired by the vanishing of one of nature's primary pollinators, the honeybee.

Absolutely stunning. He received a standing ovation. It is awesomely beautiful. Can you imagine the thought of our children's children not having this beauty because we didn't take care of the earth for them? That thought makes my heart shudder.

See if you don't agree that this is the most beautiful seven minutes you could spend.

#29 Thu 3rd Nov 2011 12:05 am

Merci

SW... YES~!!! Beautiful~ Thank you~!!!hjarta

#30 Thu 3rd Nov 2011 12:01 pm

Valentine

I bet that is awesome.  Got a VGA cable recently so we can watch these on the telly's bigger screen.  Haven't tried it yet but hope to try it out this weekend.

Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear.  Mark Twain

Board footer