Noble Dreams

Noble Dreams

You are not logged in.

#1 Thu 22nd Apr 2010 11:50 am

molly
♫♪
Website

Anyone Gardening This Spring + Summer?

I thought since the warm weather is coming and I'm sure some of you like gardening there should be a gardening thread tillfreds

What are you growing, veggies, flowers, trees, herbs, anything and everything? Do you grow outside or in a greenhouse indoors under lights, in the ground or containers?

I've decided to grow vegetables, herbs, and a few flowers outside this year, mostly in containers. Since I am friends with a nice farmer lady I get all the free chicken egg shells and chicken poop I want, so I figure this is the time I take advantage! I'm using a mix of Miracle~Gro potting soil mix and organic soil (which the bag says don't use the orgo soil in containers, of course I read that part of the bag AFTER I already tore it open and poured the stuff into containers..So far some stuff HAS grown though).

I really got no idea what I'm doing and am basically feeling my way through it. A lot of the seeds I got are organic heirloom ones that the farmer lady gave me for free for cleaning up the house for her some. Some of them were really old and wouldn't germinate but over half of them did, so I am really happy about that.

Right outside my bedroom is a small deck that is fenced in. I don't know why but for some reason, looking out my bedroom window and seeing all the greenery makes me feel really happy. So far this is becoming quite a therapeutic process for me. I also bought this really nice Asian inspired wind chime which I hung onto a limb of the big tree that is next to the deck. It feels really awesome to go sit on the deck and look at the stuff growing while listening to the wind chime.

This is a list of the things I'm trying my hand at for the spring and summer season. Some it's already growing nicely, some of it's still in little seedling containers waiting to be planted, some of them are germinating still under grow lights indoors...

SunGold cherry tomatoes
German Pink Tomatoes
Aunt Ruby's German Green tomatoes
Purple Cherokee Tomatoes
Green Zebra Tomatoes
Yellow Crookneck Squash
Some other weird squash I can't remember the name
Round Zucchini
Raven Zucchini
Pink bi~color Eggplant
Radishes (two kinds)
Carrots (three kinds)
Mesclun
Red Cabbage
Broccoli
Jalapeņo Peppers
Bell Peppers
Cucumbers
Garlic (I didn't know you are supposed to plant it in the fall..but it's still growing screw it)
Bunching onions
Golden Char
Thyme
Basil (two kinds)
Parsley
Tarragon
Oregano
Cilantro
Okra
Moon and Stars Watermelons
Zebra Watermelons
Cantelope/Muskmelons (3 kinds)
Moon Flowers
Sun Flowers
Zinnias
Blue Morning Glory's
4 O'clocks

I'm hoping at least half of this stuff works out because that'd probably be more than enough to last me all summer haha. I'm real excited for the tomatoes mostly. I love tomatoes!

#2 Thu 22nd Apr 2010 11:57 am

molly
♫♪
Website

Re: Anyone Gardening This Spring + Summer?

Oh and I read somewhere that you can mix a little bit of soap with a little bit of olive oil to a larger amount of water to spray on plants to keep bugs off safely. I took some all natural lavender soap I made some time back, cut off a little sliver, shoved it into the spray bottle (it's an 8 oz. spray bottle), added about a teaspoon of olive oil, then filled the rest of the way with water. I spray it lightly on my plants every couple of days and so far it seems to work. I haven't had any bugs~on~leaves issues as of yet and the plants don't appear to be negatively affected by it.

So I recommend that if anyone would like to try it!

Oh and here's a picture of part of what's growing so far...
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg199/fluffygl0wgirl/garden.jpg

#3 Thu 22nd Apr 2010 09:22 pm

universe_communion

Yes, yes! I'm excited. Hopefully we'll get in there soon and plant stuff. After that, I'll maybe remember to post a list of things plant. smile

Last edited by universe_communion (Thu 22nd Apr 2010 09:22 pm)

#4 Mon 26th Apr 2010 12:07 pm

molly
♫♪
Website

Nice smile
Maybe it's unrelated, maybe it is not, but the pregnant snakes eating my garden up dream kind of makes sense now. I went out to the garden just yesterday and noticed that the few seeds I just planted straight into the ground have been dug up and ate by birds sad they also ate some of my little seedlings that were sprouting sad A light bulb went off in my head of where snakes come into play: birds are scared of them! AHA! So... I take one of the many realistic poisonous snake toys my son left laying around (a big cobra) and layed it out by the garden. Matter of fact he's got a ton of these things and doesn't ever play with them anymore so I might put a few more out there.

#5 Mon 26th Apr 2010 04:07 pm

voici
voici

Your garden looks like it's gotten off to a good start,Molly.  I bet the garden snakes will do the trick.  I tried to post a pic. of my flowerbox that is filled with petunias but my new camera shots don't post on here for some reason.  I don't know why but I thought of you today when I saw a picture of the cute little horse that was born recently that is suppose to be the smallest horse on the planet. I think you had posted once that you had horses around where you live. Have you seen the little guy?  He is precious.

#6 Mon 26th Apr 2010 04:39 pm

molly
♫♪
Website

hmm that's odd. are you putting the photos into your computer then uploading them online? I use photobucket to host the photos since it's free and pretty easy. I remember my old Kodak Easyshare camera used to making me feel so dumb because it never seemed easy AT ALL...
I'd like to see the petunias! My grandmother grows petunias and they are always pretty. Her Azalea bushes are on a rampage this year. Last year they looked like they were all being killed by something but this year they are HUGE and the blossoms are so vibrant (I should take a photo of those next time I go over there).
I haven't visited the horsies down the street lately, now I think of it. However, out of boredom recently (and because the electric company had to cut down a path of trees), My son and boyfriend and I snuck across the street and found two pretty old lady horses and old donkey girl. They are so sweet but look as if they aren't being fed too well hmm So we walked back home and grabbed a bag of carrots then walked back and fed them to them hehe..
I keep meaning to go to those people's house one day and ask them if it's okay I feed them carrots and things...
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg199/fluffygl0wgirl/horse_donkey.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg199/fluffygl0wgirl/horseys.jpg

#7 Tue 27th Apr 2010 05:46 am

SW

Oh Molly I am so loving this thread. It's magical and wonderful. Thank you.

HOPE is the thing with feathers   
That perches in the soul,   
And sings the tune without the words,   
And never stops at all        Emily Dickinson

#8 Tue 27th Apr 2010 09:53 am

Falvion
gazing into Mystery
Website

I've been watching this lovely thread and I have to say I'm jealous of all you guys with a yard, or even a patio. smile Beautiful stuff.

SW, that video just gave me chills. Those are very special people if the mama felt safe enough to feed her baby while he was in that guy's hand. Simply wonderful.

#9 Tue 27th Apr 2010 11:01 am

voici
voici

Molly thanks for the horse pics.  The horse in the second picture definately needs an extra helping of food.  Here is a picture of Einstein the cutie I was telling you about yesterday.  I love him.

http://www.nobledreams.co.uk/uploads/thumbs/30_pinto.jpg

http://www.suntimes.com/photos/-1,small … ry?index=1

#10 Thu 29th Apr 2010 09:04 am

molly
♫♪
Website

WOW the humming bird video is something special! That's right it's amazing how the mamma trusts enough to feed her baby in the man's hands. I love humming birds ^_^ They're so cute, little chunky balls of feather with their needle beaks sticking out hehe.

voici Einstein is beyond adorable! I love his markings. Something about black and white animals has always fascinated me. hehe look at his cute little bushy tail awwww hjarta

I'm about to go check out some tomato and pepper plants I transplanted into the ground a couple days ago. Freaking frost warning crept up last night. The one before that was supposed to be the last one sad I really hope it's all over with.

Board footer