Noble Dreams

Noble Dreams

You are not logged in.

#1 Tue 7th Sep 2010 02:35 pm

lyttylbyrdy
emerging

To serve or not to serve...

If you were summoned for jury duty, would you serve?  On what grounds would you base your decision?

"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." ~Marcus Aurelius

"The noble soul has reverence for itself." ~Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche.

#2 Tue 7th Sep 2010 06:59 pm

Tom Paine
Tom Paine

Re: To serve or not to serve...

Hey byrdy (where have you been, darlin'?)

The following generally works:

Find out what the case is about then become an undesirable juror due to your extreme viewpoints.

Examples:

My wife was called to serve on a spouse abuse case, and after she told them that she had been
abused by her previous husband, whom she shot with a .44 magnum (aiming for his balls but hit
him in the shoulder, (the gun kicked real bad)) they told her she was excused.

I was called for jury duty for a trial of a Mexican accused of carrying a (gasp!) knife!  (They never do that.)
After I told them that my (then) wife had been raped by a Mexican at knifepoint, they asked "is this a matter
of public record?"  I told them yes.  They told me I was excused.

I rest my case.

#3 Tue 7th Sep 2010 10:15 pm

lyttylbyrdy
emerging

Hello my Friend *warm smile*

I been workin' mostly.  Stayin' out of trouble...mostly.  wink  Never too far away, tho.

I sure hope those horrible things didn't actually happen to you and Mrs TP (former or current)!  I'm not sure I could come up with anything like that and even if I could I doubt I could say it with any amount of conviction.  I'd hate to lie. hmm  And as much as I'd like to make light of this, I'll have to take a rain check.  I only have two days left to make a decision.

I can think of a lot of reasons why I wouldn't want to serve; there's a good link here outlining many that I've considered and then some.  And I can think of only a few reasons why I would want to; protecting the victim(s) and their right to a measure of justice comes to mind (although I'm not sure I'd consider myself qualified for that task).  And I know the system is flawed and participating in it is akin to supporting it, but it is the only one we have right now, gawd help us.

The way I see it, I can apply to be excused based on my "conscience", ask my boss to write a letter begging them to excuse me because I'm "indispensible" to the company or I can research the law to find some obscure legal grounds and scare them off with my boundless wit and expertise wink.  But even then there's no guarantee the court would accept either/or. 

Or I could just go with the flow and let the Fates decide.  *sighs*  Guess I'll have to sleep on it.

Last edited by lyttylbyrdy (Tue 7th Sep 2010 10:18 pm)

"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." ~Marcus Aurelius

#4 Tue 7th Sep 2010 11:27 pm

Arrow
Standing At The Portal
Website

All you really have to do is sit there and pick your nose and wipe it on the chair in front of you. They will find a way to eliminate you.

Arrow

And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make.

#5 Wed 8th Sep 2010 05:37 am

SW

I would serve, except I have also thrown some of the summons away. So far I haven't ended up in jail. I live less than 2 miles to a big huge court house and where do they always send me, either downtown Chicago or the north side when I live on the south side. Also to the main jail 26th & California which has no commuter rail or bus, so you have to drive. So yeah I threw those in the garbage. But every time I have gone I have been picked for a jury even though I tried what Tom said and it never works for me. But being heard by a jury of your peers is important but of course now this is corrupted too.

So many things now are.

HOPE is the thing with feathers   
That perches in the soul,   
And sings the tune without the words,   
And never stops at all        Emily Dickinson

#6 Wed 8th Sep 2010 08:28 am

Valentine

It depends on where you live the how well they enforce the summons.  Dallas, as big as it is, has at least once sent out Constables to bring in the missing to the jury pool.  I don't know if the people were also fined which can be up to $1,000.  I know someone who has never responded to the summons and nothing has happened to him so far.  The little bedroom community where I live would notice were I not to show up, and it's night traffic court a few blocks from my house.  I've lived there 15 years and only received 2 summons.  Both times no cases went to trial and we were dismissed early.

I served on a jury back in the day for a civil suit pursuant to a traffic accident even though I worked for a property/casualty insurance company.  It was appalling that other jurors were talking about the parties' personalities instead of sticking to the facts.  Wasn't sure I wanted to ever have a jury trial myself; you never know what they'll do.

Also appalling is the fact that jurors aren't instructed in jury nullification.  If you look at the instruction sheet that all jurors receive, the right of the jury to nullify the law is conspicuously absent.  It's tempting to make handouts and stand on the courhouse steps giving them to folks as they go into the building.  Wonder how long it would be before I was tased, heh.
http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/project … ation.html

Jury nullification occurs when a jury returns a verdict of "Not Guilty" despite its belief that the defendant is guilty of the violation charged.  The jury in effect nullifies a law that it believes is either immoral or wrongly applied to the defendant whose fate that are charged with deciding.

Fully Informed Jury Associationl:
http://fija.org/

The primary function of the independent juror is not, as many think, to dispense punishment to fellow citizens accused of breaking various laws, but to protect fellow citizens from tyrannical abuses of power by government.  The Constitution guarantees your right to trial by jury.  This that government must bring its case before a jury of The People if government wants to deprive any person of life, liberty, or property.  Jurors can say no to government tyranny by refusing to convict.

Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear.  Mark Twain

#7 Wed 8th Sep 2010 01:38 pm

Tom Paine
Tom Paine

Maybe letting the lawyers know that you believe in jury nullification would be enough to make them
select someone less knowledgeable.

I was unaware of this.  Thank you, Valentine!

#8 Wed 8th Sep 2010 11:54 pm

lyttylbyrdy
emerging

Civil disobedience, eh?  I hadn't thought of that.  How very sheepish of me.  rodnar  Just throw it away.  Hmph.  How 'bout that.  Something else to consider.  That...and conspicuous nosepickery.  Nice! wink

As for jury nullification, that's actually the very thing I had in mind to research after reading point 5 here, so it's kinda funny you should mention it, V.  I wasn't sure if it was applicable here in Canada but according to scroogle it is.  Good to know if I find myself in a position to object to a law I disagree with.  You know, like tax evasion.  big_smile

And I bet you're right, TP.  That could be just the ace I need to have up my sleeve if I decide that I want out and all else has failed.

Thanks, folks.  I appreciate the feedback.  Now, off to educate myself on jury junk 'n stuff.  Just want I always wanted to do. 

If I find any other little golden nuggets I'll let y'all know.

Last edited by lyttylbyrdy (Thu 9th Sep 2010 12:00 am)

#9 Thu 9th Sep 2010 02:59 am

SiriArc
AD VO ZIN

http://kwan.cz/nyx/fuckem.jpg

11   23   11

#10 Thu 9th Sep 2010 12:55 pm

Tom Paine
Tom Paine

Maybe the letter never got there.  You never saw it.

Board footer