Noble Dreams

Noble Dreams

You are not logged in.

#1 Thu 2nd Jan 2014 08:02 pm

molly
♫♪
Website

Dogs poop in line with Earth’s magnetic field, says study

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Pooping-dog-via-Shutterstock-615x345.jpg

The study examined the daily habits of 70 dogs during 1,893 defecations and 5,582 urinations over the course of two years. Consistently, during times of calm electromagnetic “weather,” the dogs chose to eliminate while facing north or south.

Dogs are not the only animals that are sensitive to the Earth’s magnetism. When it comes time for them to mate, salmon use their sense of the Earth’s magnetism to find their way back to the spawning grounds where they were born. Birds, similarly, migrate along magnetic lines. Even ants have been proven to have a sense of the Earth’s alignment and to distinguish between north, south, east and west.

As to why the dogs prefer to poop facing north or south rather than east or west, that’s still a mystery.

“It is still enigmatic why the dogs do align at all, whether they do it ‘consciously’ (i.e., whether the magnetic field is sensorial perceived (the dogs ‘see,’ ‘hear’ or ‘smell’ the compass direction or perceive it as a haptic stimulus) or whether its reception is controlled on the vegetative level (they ‘feel better/more comfortable or worse/less comfortable’ in a certain direction),” wrote researchers, “Our analysis of the raw data (not shown here) indicates that dogs not only prefer N-S direction, but at the same time they also avoid E-W direction.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/01/02/d … ays-study/

#2 Fri 3rd Jan 2014 11:14 am

SW

Re: Dogs poop in line with Earth’s magnetic field, says study

huh

HOPE is the thing with feathers   
That perches in the soul,   
And sings the tune without the words,   
And never stops at all        Emily Dickinson

#3 Mon 6th Jan 2014 12:41 pm

Valentine

Regardless, I still have to clean it up!kapitulation

Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear.  Mark Twain

#4 Tue 7th Jan 2014 02:42 am

molly
♫♪
Website

notice the look on the dogs face though, & how the article says that they won't poop in a north-south axis when leashed. north-south makes dog happy, is natural.. east-west.. you jerk use a compass & move the poor guy the other direction.

#5 Tue 7th Jan 2014 10:34 am

Valentine

Molly, I'll bet there are plenty of us who couldn't tell which direction they're facing if their lives depended on it.  From picking up poop in my back yard it wasn't obvious they do this, so I'm going to try and observe when I'm off this weekend.

Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear.  Mark Twain

Board footer