And what does that really make us?

HOPE is the thing with feathers   
That perches in the soul,   
And sings the tune without the words,   
And never stops at all        Emily Dickinson

#2 Tue 18th Feb 2014 12:40 pm

Valentine

Re: Is the Universe a Simulation?

I think I came to Tom's old forum because a friend from another forum was over here on such a thread.  You know, it's not "real" anyway so does it really matter what sort of simulation it is?  What do you think?

Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear.  Mark Twain

#3 Sun 23rd Feb 2014 11:35 am

SW

I find it very hard to wrap my mind around the fact that it is a "simulation" and all is made perfect by the math. I am not a brainy creature, more of a feelings type creature. And my feelings are constantly outraged at all the horror and wrongness of this world. How could something perfect be so screwed up? I do think we are some sort of experiment gone awry, and we were sent here to fix it, but a spell was put on so many to blind us of this fact.

We need to remember. How can there be so much cruelty and horror and injustice? But yet so much beauty, wonder, love and joy that comes to us through feelings?

Like I said, I am not brainy or computer geeky, but it does seem that so many people (the brainy ones) yearn for this singularity thing where we merge with the machines and all will be well. I just don't see that, we become the Borg then. I think. How about you?

#4 Mon 24th Feb 2014 03:12 pm

Valentine

It would be really funny if this was the first simulation being run to decide if life should be started here or somewhere.  Maybe part of the illusion is the feeling we've been here before and that we've forgotten it all.  Who's running this simulation and why?

#5 Wed 19th Mar 2014 06:13 am

SW

http://www.crystalinks.com/MalaysiaFlight370.html

From Ellie's Crystal Links ( a strong believer in a Holographic Universe) - I agree this story is just crazy and a symptom of all we feel is "wrong" in our world.

It does feel like everything is spinning out of control.

Something is definitely brewing ... and it's all about time and illusion.

I have always felt the synchronicities that will dance with you once you pay attention. Lately I have been remembering an old dream I had of "Belarus and Squaring the Circle".

http://www.burningtaper.blogspot.com/20 … ircle.html

"We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars... the stars form a circle, and in the center we dance." — Rumi (13th century)

#6 Wed 19th Mar 2014 06:27 am

SW

http://blogs.computerworld.com/computer … xsw-itbwgk

Like any true believer, Laura Hudson understands:

"We kicked around a couple ideas of how we could use the Oculus Rift, because it has unlimited potential," says Ian Cleary, VP of Innovation and Ideation at Relevent, which worked with HBO to create the experience.
    "What we're trying to do with all of this is trick your brain," says Cleary.
    And boy, did my brain believe it. ... [As] much as I understood, intellectually, that the simulation was entirely fabricated, every reaction in my body and my brain told me I was in real danger, and I had to act.

#7 Wed 19th Mar 2014 01:09 pm

Valentine

Is it positive or negative that our senses are so easily fooled?  If our perceptions are so tenuous how can we ever know what is "real"?

#8 Wed 26th Mar 2014 08:58 am

Valentine

Here's a long thread about this topic from another forum:

http://www.rigorousintuition.ca/board2/ … mp;t=12856

#9 Fri 28th Mar 2014 05:38 am

SW

Thanks Val, lots of interesting stuff to read.

Found this a weird synch - http://www.cryptogon.com/?p=43395

Facebook Buys Virtual Reality Co. Oculus for $2 Billion

Facebook has agreed to buy Oculus for $2 billion, betting that its virtual reality technology may be a new way for people to communicate, learn or be entertained.

“This is a long-term bet on the future of computing,” said Facebook Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg Tuesday on a call with analysts. “I believe Oculus can be one of the platforms of the future.”

Make sure you check out the art image at the link. Makes me wonder? But Facebook and virtual reality? I spend way too much time on FB already and I noticed how rapidly the internet has changed from the days of chat rooms and internet forums. FB is fun because I can connect with so many relatives and friends every day, but for the most part it is not really connecting. I have tried posting things that really matter to me or things that I find "deep" but I am shunned virtually. And a lot of troublesome things, the fact that they own all of your posts and photos? Strange. But that image is very thought provoking.

#10 Tue 1st Apr 2014 10:20 am

Valentine

It's the same for me on FB.  I try to wake people up, but the ones I really want to reach don't respond to my posts at all.  kram

Board footer