Noble Dreams

Noble Dreams

You are not logged in.

#1 Wed 5th Mar 2014 06:26 am

SW

New International Sky Park Opens in Michigan

http://www.treehugger.com/natural-scien … world.html

Michigan's nightlife is looking up. The state's first International Dark Sky Park has been created. It's now one of only six in the U.S. and 10 in the world. Think about that. In lots of (too many?) places on Earth, you don't see the full night sky of stars and galaxies. You see bits and pieces that aren't drowned out by light pollution from city streetlights and buildings (many buildings that don't need to be lit up from top to bottom during the night).

Michigan's new Dark Sky Park is a 600-acre stretch of old-growth timber located north of Petoskey, in Emmet County, along Lake Michigan and west of Mackinaw City.

I've had the joy of touring this area via motorcycle, and it is indeed breathtakingly beautiful and "full of stars". I will never forget how wonderful it is.

My new home is a tiny little town of 700 people and we are way, way out in nowhere and the stars at night are wonderful. Our children deserve places like this.

HOPE is the thing with feathers   
That perches in the soul,   
And sings the tune without the words,   
And never stops at all        Emily Dickinson

#2 Wed 5th Mar 2014 07:40 am

Valentine

Re: New International Sky Park Opens in Michigan

Most of our children don't even know the night sky is just teeming with stars.  It's breathtaking when you see it for the first time.  applause

Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear.  Mark Twain

#3 Wed 5th Mar 2014 09:26 am

11eagle11

Re: New International Sky Park Opens in Michigan

It Is A Glorious Thing To See These Things Transpire...

We NEED Open Spaces Without Man-made Light Noise...

Just Simple and Powerful Natural Surroundings and Connections!

http://imgcdn.geocaching.com/cache/large/26fd096c-266b-413f-a1d5-1eef2224c0d3.jpg

"Let Your Spirit Soar!"

Board footer