Noble Dreams

Noble Dreams

You are not logged in.

#21 Wed 12th Aug 2009 11:23 am

meta-agnostic

Re: What are interesting movies?

Joeman wrote:

lyttylbyrdy wrote:

Has anyone seen The Nines or know anything about the director/screenwriter John August?

Yes.  It's definitely worth watching, but I don't understand everything after first view.

My take on The Nines was that it was basically an illustration of a multi-dimensional being trapped in an incarnative cycle, done in a way that cleverly weaved the stories of the incarnations together and also leaned heavily on the solipsistic side.  Upon repeated viewings, and particularly because of the solipsism, it doesn't really seem like the director was trying to make a larger point, at least overtly.  He probably thought it up as a clever plot device and put in elements from his own life which made the story more personal.  In fairness, explaining the story in a less solipsistic way would have been immensely more complicated.  Of course, he could well have been inspired subconsciously or otherwise by The Way Things Really Are.

#22 Sun 23rd Aug 2009 06:33 pm

zenden

we should prob merge all the movie threads in here.  put them all in the one thread.  i thot we had it mentioned so i looked for it mentioned and found it in here.  HOLY of holies.  DISTRICT 9.  just got back from seeing District 9.  oh mmmmyyy gawd.  it blew my socks off.  it has about a zillion themes in it.  could be discussed in movie theme class for hours.  maybe days.  absoulutely loved it.  it was smacked full of great stuff.  i had read ppl talking about it at the sott forum.  had to see it rather than waiting for the dvd which we usually do.  (thats because i have to yell alot and scream stuff out and not too good to do in the show  -- esp yelling out KILL THEM, kill them quick, you have to kill them... even tho everybody is thinking and feeling it but dont wanna say). 

it has alot of themes.  esp when u know that district 6 (upended in this to a nine -- meaning completion but not even, as they could make many more of these in the future off this one, if it all lasts here that long) that it was somewhat reality based on nigerians held up in camp there in Johannesburg.  many storylines that come with any alien as it were tribe that is forced into submission and domination by a higher runged organized group.  it was a real stimulator for sure.  gets the adrenaline going.  loved it.

i came up with a sad conclusion as i kept watching.  saying theyll never come because of stuff like this.  it doesnt look good for direct contact when u see this.  it doesnt look good at all.  any alien tribe would be truly insane to arrive like that.  they'll never come for reasons too much like displayed in the movie. 

i told the old man this could be the story of mankind, watching power struggles weaved thru the story.  and of all places, south africa.  one layer of power struggle upon the other and within each layer, plot and subplots.  theres so much to discuss we couldnt even prob do it.  use of organic alien machinery/technology, from ships to weapons.  thats what they found at roswell for starters and have tried to back engineer.  (read "IN LEAGUE WITH A UFO" BY Lou Baldwin  it can be downloaded free from scribd)   i have read and read about that organic material.  found that way back.  in 4D and some subplanes of u materialize intent anyway, but imagine the foci of attention we will need to learn.   anyway, same stuff used for deep space radio type satellite tupe communication with their implants.  made of metals and metal compounds but r really organic biological little entities that move away from hands upon attempts to eradicate.  and thats just grey type implants.  the writers know all about it.  and much more.  just see it.

#23 Tue 25th Aug 2009 07:42 am

Spike
to the point
Website

zenden wrote:

it has alot of themes.  esp when u know that district 6 (upended in this to a nine -- meaning completion but not even, as they could make many more of these in the future off this one, if it all lasts here that long) that it was somewhat reality based on nigerians held up in camp there in Johannesburg.  many storylines that come with any alien as it were tribe that is forced into submission and domination by a higher runged organized group.  it was a real stimulator for sure.  gets the adrenaline going.  loved it.

i came up with a sad conclusion as i kept watching.  saying theyll never come because of stuff like this.  it doesnt look good for direct contact when u see this.  it doesnt look good at all.  any alien tribe would be truly insane to arrive like that.  they'll never come for reasons too much like displayed in the movie. 

i told the old man this could be the story of mankind, watching power struggles weaved thru the story.  and of all places, south africa.  one layer of power struggle upon the other and within each layer, plot and subplots.  theres so much to discuss we couldnt even prob do it.  use of organic alien machinery/technology, from ships to weapons.

http://www.geektyrant.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/district9poster_000.jpg

This movie made me physically ill by the end. I suppose it could have be a reaction to some enchiladas I ate a few hours before, but I was fine when I got there and fine an hour afterward. I don't think it was the gore and violence, though there was enough of that, but I felt triggered on some level that manifested as nausea. I thought it was interesting that my 11 year old son spoke the exact description I'd been thinking for it "that was disturbing", which it was, in a number of ways...not the least of which was the fact that he was in the theater watching it.

Here's a review where they call it "NWO propaganda". I'm not so sure about that. There was nothing there that the audience was willing to accept. They clapped at the end when the alien and his son escaped and many of the corporate/government perps and Nigerian gangster/cannibals were killed.
I don't think this was originally a big studio film, but one which was an independent production that Peter Jackson eventually got behind. It was more of a warning, a bit of precognition for one direction we may be headed.

#24 Wed 26th Aug 2009 06:47 am

Bhang
Paradigms of Vigilance
Website

I like the movies and music mentioned thus far yet I must add a few items to this list, lest it be uncompleted.

My taste in music is probably a lot harder than your usual ear vibrations but you must understand that this type of harder music is awesome for unloading subliminal stress and is great for motivational purposes. This music is best heard with a dose of testosterone.

One of the best bands in the last twenty years, politically charged and ready to revolt, this band literally changed my life.

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
Studio albums: "Rage Against the Machine · Evil Empire · The Battle of Los Angeles"

People of the Sun by Rage Against the Machine

Yeah people come up

Yeah, we better turn tha bass up on this one

Check it,
Since 1516 minds attacked and overseen
Now crawl amidst the ruins of this empty dream
With their borders and boots on top of us
Pullin' knobs on the floor of thier toxic metropolis
So how you gonna get what you need ta get?
Tha gut eaters, blood drenched get offensive like tet
the fifth sun sets get back reclaim
Tha spirit of Cuahtemoc alive an untamed
Now face tha funk now blastin' out ya speaka
on the one, Maya, Mexica
The vulture tried to steal your name but now you got a gun
Ya this is for the people of the sun

Its comin' back around again
This is for the people of the sun

Ya never forget that the whip snapped your back, ya spine cracked for tobacco, I'm the Marlboro man uh
Our past blastin' on through tha verses
Brigades of taxi cabs rolling broadway like hearses
Troops strippin' zoots, shots of red mist, sailors blood on tha deck
Come sista resist
Tha new era of terror, check this photo lens
Now the city of angles does the ethnic cleanse
Heads bobbin' to tha funk out ya speaker, on tha one Maya, Mexica
That vulture came ta try an steal ya name but now you found a gun.
Ya history, this is for the people of the sun

This is for tha people of tha sun
Its comin back around again

Its comin' back around

Of the sun

http://www.siloam.net/jenkins/mayafir3.gif

Bashing authority in the head, this band has been keeping the underground in check for nearly 1o years now. The best underground band not on the airwaves, bringing the sound of revolution out of the melting pot that is Los Angeles, defying record executives and telling their studio masters to fuck off, from Huntington Beach California, HED PE (also known as HED PLANET EARTH)

HED PE
Studio Albums: "Church of Realities, Hed PE, Broke, Blackout, Only in Amerika, Back 2 Base X, Insomnia, The D.I.Y. Guys, New World Orphans"

"Walk on by" by Hed Pe

Walk on by
Dont waste your time

The door is open
It's sublime
"The waters fine"
Don't drown in the lies
That the matrix constructs
To cover up the light
A day in the life
of a corporate avenger
Who god sent to offend ya
All day and all fucking night
Born to ride, Down for life
I'll be down for whatever
Better treat me right

Just walk on by
Dont waste your time
You'll never know me
And this life of mine
Just walk on by
Dont waste your time
You'll never control me
And this life of mine

The gods have spoken
In written word
The books are open
But few have heard
What the mystery teachings
Are waiting to ignite
Another day in the life of
the peoples defender
Whom god sent to avenge ya
All day and all fucking night
Born to ride, Down for life
I'll be down for whatever
Better treat me right

Just walk on by
Dont waste your time
You'll never know me
And this life of mine
Just walk on by
Dont waste your time
You'll never control me
And this life of mine

What a shame
We're reading all the wrong books in vain
It's a sin, such a crime
We dance to all the wrong songs in time
WE'LL HAVE TO DECIDE

You will never take control of me
I wont let you take control

Get up, get up

Mind your own fucking business

Check it out man
You do what you do
I'm gonna do what im gonna do
I'm really not looking for any trouble man
So just leave me alone, alright?
FUCK OFF

Just walk on by
Dont waste your time
You'll never know me
And this life of mine
Just walk on by
Dont waste your time
You'll never control me
And this life of mine

FUCK YOU
You cant control me

You will never take control of me
I wont let you take control

Movies to be added at a later date

Last edited by Bhang (Fri 28th Aug 2009 08:43 am)

“Intelligence is the capacity to receive, decode and transmit information efficiently. Stupidity is blockage of this process at any point. Bigotry, ideologies etc. block the ability to receive; robotic reality-tunnels block the ability to decode or integrate new signals; censorship blocks transmission.” - Robert Anton Wilson

#25 Wed 26th Aug 2009 01:08 pm

zenden

holy cow Bhang.  that was quite a post.

@ Spike.  haha u nut.  i could sure use one of those alien DNA guided guns from District 9.  i bet my alien DNA would be able to fire one.  that movie kicked it.  i loved it. lock and load baby.   the movie portrayed the truth to much in this stinking world.  the Wikus character was a Haliburton, Blackwater minion, til he woke the fuck up.  id have to look up his character's last name in the movie to trace his bloodline.  to see if that had any meaning.  we figured out that the weaponry was of a microwave type.  internally blows up, implodes the target.  by heat.  laser directed heat.   Bhang would know about that.  we prob have that weaponry.  we cant kid ourselves.  it is all a warning.  what isnt these days?  we were gonna theatre switch to go see Inglorious Bastards while we were at it but our fat asses were tired.  old soul soldier here.  i admire good soldiers.  i really do.  i dont usually say much to you, Bhang but i get it.  i get it, what u have seen and been thru.  i admire you and ur tenacity and ferocity.  i really do.  i finally got around to saying that.

Last edited by zenden (Wed 26th Aug 2009 01:08 pm)

#26 Wed 26th Aug 2009 06:17 pm

Solstice
Solstice

Here's some Pinback.

Pinback - Hurley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8YfVxy1vqA

Pinback - Chaos Engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyExl5_F_yY

#27 Fri 28th Aug 2009 05:47 am

Synchronicitical
Paragon Paradigm Parabolist

I loved District 9 - it is definitely a gift that it was able to be made out of the fallen remnants of the Halo movie Peter Jackson was originally set to work on.  Halo (the videogame) has its own interesting symbolism... alien forces want to unleash a dangerous organism (because of their religious views) that can attach itself to any organism and mutate it into a deadly member of a hive mind.  There are two groups of aliens that agree with this "Prophet of Truth", the "Brutes" and the "Grunts". I think the symbolism is pretty obvious there. The "Elites" realize this as foolish, and side with humanity. The controllable Elite is called the Arbiter, which, according to Dictionary.com is "a person who has the sole or absolute power of judging or determining" - in other words, US, the players of the game.  The Arbiter, the first Elite to rebel, is also branded a heretic by his alien comrades. The main human character is Master Chief, which has a similar connotation of choice and direction.

I think District 9 does a really powerful job of capturing not just a portrayal of racism (which movie reviews are quick to point out) but more fundamentally the errors of OTHERISM.  There are a bunch of other themes running through the movie and there are a few flaws but I was so engrossed in the story it was telling I am totally willing to overlook its slight imperfections and hoist it into my Top Ten.

"We are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you different." - Kurt Vonnegut

#28 Fri 28th Aug 2009 09:05 am

Bhang
Paradigms of Vigilance
Website

Thank you Zenden. That means a lot to me.

Just trying to fight the good fight!

http://www.timboucher.com/images/obi_wan_jesus.jpg

Bill Miller "All along the watchtower"

Last edited by Bhang (Fri 28th Aug 2009 09:12 am)

“Intelligence is the capacity to receive, decode and transmit information efficiently. Stupidity is blockage of this process at any point. Bigotry, ideologies etc. block the ability to receive; robotic reality-tunnels block the ability to decode or integrate new signals; censorship blocks transmission.” - Robert Anton Wilson

#29 Mon 31st Aug 2009 11:29 am

Bhang
Paradigms of Vigilance
Website

conspiracy hip-hop.

Last edited by Bhang (Mon 31st Aug 2009 12:00 pm)

#30 Mon 31st Aug 2009 01:07 pm

11eagle11

Have time to look around today...
Thank You Bhang...this one resonates with me...keep up the good fight and I am glad You are here : )
My Mohawk friend Kevin (Bear) ...does the same chant Bill does in this performance...does my heart good!

Bill Miller "All Along the Watchtower"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnktDYOt … dded#t=216

http://worldmusiccentral.org/staticpages/images/bill_miller_x300.jpg

"Let Your Spirit Soar!"

Board footer