You are not logged in.

#1 Sat 24th Mar 2012 12:11 pm

blue
observer
Website

I've just published my first book!

The ups and downs of being a Man City fan

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-downs-being … p;sr=1-2#_

You can read the first 10% of the book online at that link.

It is about Man City - a UK soccer team, and that is the main audience, but if you like UK soccer you would probably find it interesting and fun to read. If anyone does read it, I would really appreciate if you would also write a small review, maybe 20 words or more.

There is nothing spiritual or metaphysical in the book, I'm just exorcising my 3D demons.

Thank you for your time. Got to go and lie down now, I'm so nervous!

___________________________________________________________________ God put me here to accomplish certain things.
I am so far behind I will never die.

#2 Sat 24th Mar 2012 01:51 pm

Sencha

Re: I've just published my first book!

I did a review based on the preview only (I'm not Kindled up), so if what I wrote doesn't tie in with the full book then let me know and I'll amend it accordingly. I'm know it's a it naughty blagging it on the basis of the preview, but I made the assumption the rest of the book would follow in a similar vein.

Funnily enough, when I was a kid my mom took me to a store in town to buy an enamel Wolves sign for my bedroom door. They had sold out and because I desperately wanted something for my door, like my mates all had, I ended up choosing a Man City one on the basis they would be my 'second team.' I think Trevor Francis and Joe Corrigan were still there at the time. Not long after that it became clear Liverpool were the team of the moment, so I switched my 'second team' allegiances. Thinking about it now, it was kind of a premonition if you look at City today and where Wolves are most likely going to end up come the end of May - barring a miracle! Mind you, if it kicks off in the Falklands again then your two best strikers may be going home on indefinite leave!

'Tea is drunk to forget the din of the world' - T’ien Yiheng.

#3 Sat 24th Mar 2012 02:40 pm

blue
observer
Website

Thanks Mark - the review is excellent - and not out of line with the rest of the book. I really appreciate that.

Funny you should say that about the Falklands and Argies, in the City versus Spurs chapter I did a similar type of story ..

The closest that City came to glory during their 35 year trophy drought was in 1981, (also the year my daughter Victoria was born), against Tottenham Hotspur in the F.A. Cup final.

This was the 100th (centennial) F.A. cup final. Spurs had signed two Argentinean's, Ricky Villa and Ossie Ardiles (who later went on to play Manuel, the dumb Spanish waiter, in the BBC sitcom 'Fawlty Towers').

Tommy Hutchinson gave City an early lead, but then 11 minutes from time, he scored an own goal for the Spurs equalizer. The game was still level after extra time, so Paul Powers and Ossie Ardiles stepped into the centre circle to decide the tie with 'Scissors, Paper, Stone'.

Unfortunately, Ossie did not understand the concept of this game and so used his lightning fast powers of reaction to match every move Paul Powers made.

Scissors - Scissors
Stone - Stone
Paper - Paper
Paper - Paper
Scissors - Scissors

After ten minutes of this, the stalemate could still not be broken, so the referee blew the final whistle, with a midweek replay to be arranged.

After the game rumours abounded that Argentina had used the game as a ruse to divert attention away from the fact that they were planning a military coup on the Falkland Islands, which was under British sovereignty.

Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher immediately dispatched the entire British Naval fleet (and 25,000 City supporters) to the Falkland Islands, for the replay. However, this was just political propaganda, as the replay was actually at Wembley. Furthermore, it would take the fleet around six weeks to reach the Falklands.

Spurs won the replay 3-2, after City had been leading 2-1.  The game will always be remembered for Ricky Villa drunkenly staggering past three City defenders, before sloppily pushing the ball past Joe Corrigan, for one of the flukiest goals ever scored in a Cup Final.

The TV cameras shot over to HMS Invincible, in the middle of the Atlantic, showing a deck full of City supporters in total dejection, watching the game on the big screen.

Kenneth Wolstenholme then came up with his immortal comment. "Some of the crowd are on the aircraft carrier - they think it's all over. It is now!

___________________________________________________________________ God put me here to accomplish certain things.
I am so far behind I will never die.

#4 Sat 24th Mar 2012 03:56 pm

11eagle11

Lookin' Good, Blue !!!

I'll read it all later tonite and report : )

"Let Your Spirit Soar!"

#5 Sat 24th Mar 2012 05:13 pm

SW

Awesome Blue!

HOPE is the thing with feathers   
That perches in the soul,   
And sings the tune without the words,   
And never stops at all        Emily Dickinson

#6 Sun 25th Mar 2012 05:08 am

Feritciva

Oh noo! A City fan?  smile)

I love football and congrats Blue on your book, this looks fantastic!

But let's get things first, this is football, NOT soccer. American football is a joke to humanity and we're talking about a real sport here; European football (sorry Americans but any football team playing against USA "Soccer" team in World Cup gets my full support).

Ok, back to City - although I enjoyed that legendary 1-6 score against Utd, the 'team' is not a team. C'mon with Balotelli, De Jong, Lescott, Tevez how can one talk about discipline and team-play? smile)

#7 Sun 25th Mar 2012 11:01 am

Sencha

American football is a joke to humanity and we're talking about a real sport here

- lol Although I can't really put the boot in on this one seeing as England haven't won anything of note for the past 46 years!

'Tea is drunk to forget the din of the world' - T’ien Yiheng.

#8 Sun 25th Mar 2012 01:42 pm

Charles
Website

Oh Blue, it's always wonderful to see you here.

Your work of love is done, and the work (I hope and believe) was fun for you.  That is already success.  Breathe and relax my friend.

Like Sencha, I could not read any % of the book, but trusting how I feel of you, I'm sure it's wonderful, and I Wish You Well.

We Are One.

#9 Sun 25th Mar 2012 04:47 pm

Merci

Well done Blue~! Happy to see you are keeping busy. You have a talent for writing... so now I will patiently wait for your spiritual book to arrive~ smile

Board footer