Noble Dreams

Noble Dreams

You are not logged in.

#1 Wed 9th Jan 2013 07:38 am

SW

The Overview Effect

Not sure where to post this - the science of our minds and how we can trigger the link to our souls, is a science that intrigues me.

http://dailygrail.com/Humanity-Plus/201 … iew-Effect

Planetary Collective wrote:
The Overview Effect, first described by author Frank White in 1987, is an experience that transforms astronautsí perspective of the planet and mankindís place upon it. Common features of the experience are a feeling of awe for the planet, a profound understanding of the interconnection of all life, and a renewed sense of responsibility for taking care of the environment.

A magical mystery tour may be a lot cheaper than a physical trip to outer space, but seeing the Earth from orbit is the ultimate way to alter one's perspective of life, the universe, & everything. The Overview Effect by Planetary Collective is a terrific short film exploring this life-and-mind-changing phenomenon through interviews with five astronauts, as well as other commentators & thinkers.

I am so terribly afraid of heights, but my whole life I have dreamed of going into space. The awe of it. Watch the movie in full screen mode if you can.

Last edited by SW (Wed 9th Jan 2013 07:39 am)

HOPE is the thing with feathers   
That perches in the soul,   
And sings the tune without the words,   
And never stops at all        Emily Dickinson

#2 Wed 9th Jan 2013 01:25 pm

Valentine

Re: The Overview Effect

I'm afraid of heights, too.  When I married back in 1980 or so we honeymooned in a state park in Texas Hill Country https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Hill_Country.  We started up this rather small hill that was covered with spindly trees and falling leaves, and I couldn't keep my footing.  I felt I would just roll back down that hill, and I was so scared my husband secured me to a tree while he went on to the top.  I was okay on the hills that were more rocky.  We were there around the end of Oct, so it was fairly desserted.  Deer and other wildlife would wander through at all hours.  We had brought our Doberman, and he got sprayed by a skunk.  He wasn't afraid of heights apparently as he cavorted all over those hills like a long-legged mountain goat.  I was scared for him!

Not that I actually had a point in the beginning of this post, I've come up with one.  I have found that going to these natural areas also provides a spiritual attitude adjustment, especially if one has been confined to the city for a long time.  We went to Arkansas and started going up and up and up and then suddenly a stunning vista off the side of that mountain when we could finally see through the trees.  I couldn't stop myself from crying from the beauty.  It was an incredible feeling I'll never forget.  I'm sure seeing Earth from space would be a similar experience.

Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear.  Mark Twain

Board footer