Noble Dreams

Noble Dreams

You are not logged in.

#51 Mon 3rd Dec 2012 11:54 am

Valentine

Re: Anyone Gardening This Spring + Summer?

Always good to hear one of your reports, sw.  Hopefully, you will find another place and do even better. smile

Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear.  Mark Twain

#52 Sat 26th Jan 2013 08:47 am

SW

It's that time of year to dream and dream of this year's garden. Here is a great series of videos on how to plan your garden to make it even better than last years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxRVMB7t … md4X--BjLC

I am encountering youtube videos that I am not sure how to paste into the forum using the youtube gadget because they have dots and dashes. kapitulation

Here is a link to their main youtube site which includes a link to their blog and FB. I love the ideas at this place.

Last edited by SW (Sat 26th Jan 2013 08:50 am)

HOPE is the thing with feathers   
That perches in the soul,   
And sings the tune without the words,   
And never stops at all        Emily Dickinson

#53 Sat 26th Jan 2013 02:26 pm

11eagle11

...brought it right here, SW...the best to You and Yours and All ND Gardeners : )

"Let Your Spirit Soar!"

#54 Sun 3rd Mar 2013 02:25 am

molly
♫♪
Website

Thanks for the links with the tutorials! I'm going to check them out, since i'm already getting started on some things, preparing & whatnot.

Got paid for playing live music last night, so today my son & i went to the local farmer's market & picked out a bunch of seeds. I still need a few different kinds that weren't there, but for the most part got everything. My son picked out the Hollyhocks. I'd never seen them before.. he said "Look, mom! GOTH FLOWERS!" lol
I'm going to go ahead & start some greens in pots to have something to munch on while the garden are is fully prepared.. stuff like swiss chard, spinach, kale, lettuces, etc.. if we get any snow/sleet warnings i can just bring them inside.
This year i plan on making a little DIY greenhouse or what some people may call a "Lettuce tent" since the sun killed so much of the greens last year.
http://i46.tinypic.com/2znx15t.jpg

#55 Mon 11th Mar 2013 10:31 pm

SW

Love that photo. I so love to garden. Still snow covered up here but hopefully soon. Saw this on FB and had to share here -

http://www.ted.com/talks/ron_finley_a_g … al_la.html

Ron Finley plants vegetable gardens in South Central LA -- in abandoned lots, traffic medians, along the curbs. Why? For fun, for defiance, for beauty and to offer some alternative to fast food in a community where "the drive-thrus are killing more people than the drive-bys."

Ron Finley grows a nourishing food culture in South Central L.A.’s food desert by planting the seeds and tools for healthy eating.

#56 Fri 15th Mar 2013 01:34 pm

Tom Paine
Tom Paine

Speaking of seeds, this just in from naturalnews.com:

NaturalNews Insider Alert ( www.NaturalNews.com ) - please forward

Non-hybrid seeds are self-replicating food technology: Do you have enough?‏
Dear NaturalNews readers,
Most Natural News readers are into preparedness or self-reliance at some level: they grow a garden, stockpile a bit of food or even just do their own countertop sprouting. Our readers range the gamut from urban hippies to hard-core wilderness survivalists, but the one thing everybody has in common is that they eat food.

Not only do we all eat food; we all need it every few hours. Right after air, water and shelter, food is the fourth most important thing needed to keep you alive. Importantly, when you don't have food, you can be easily controlled.

Imagine a rogue government that says, "Your food allotment is now tied to your obedience in taking vaccines." If you want to eat, you must comply.

Control of food is control of humanity. This is, of course, why Monsanto is attempting to control the world's food supply. There's no faster way to rise to a position of dictatorial power than to dictate whether people can eat (and what they can grow). This is why Monsanto is one of the greatest long-term threats to the survival of humanity, but that's a topic for another article.
Stored food isn't enough
Like me, you probably own a fair amount of stored food. This is food designed to get you through a food supply failure of some sort, and depending on your level of commitment to this stored food, you may have anywhere from 30 days to 2-3 years worth of food stored away.

Regardless of how much food you have stored, it will eventually run out. Sooner or later, you will need a way to produce new food. And that's a whole different ball game from just storing food: You need to GROW it.

And that means having seeds.

(see the rest of the article for info about heirloom seeds)

TP

#57 Fri 22nd Mar 2013 07:02 am

SW

Dylan Ratigan Quits MSNBC, Help Vets Create Network of Organic Hydroponic Farms

Via: Dylan Ratigan:

If you are reading this, you likely know I left a highly-successful, self-titled show at MSNBC last June in search of meaning and purpose in my work and life. I had lost both after 18 years in Manhattan and the chaos surrounding the hollow political debates permeating America’s media and politics.

After 780 hours of political cable news, 6000 hours of live financial television, 45 cities, 2 national jobs tours, 277,963 signatures to amend The Constitution, 245 pages of book and a promotion tour for Greedy Bastards, I was exhausted.

It was a three-tour Iraq combat Marine and his war-protestor wife who pointed me in a new direction. They were guests on my show last June discussing how they were bootstrapping their way to operate a high-yield hydroponic organic farm that uses 90% less water and produces three times as much food. It was a business that promised to cure food deserts – areas where access to fresh and healthy food is limited – while having the potential to create jobs for thousands of combat veterans, each of whom was the beneficiary of $1 million in military training while on active duty.

The couple even created a school where they trained other veterans to open their own farms or establish their own organic businesses in pursuit of a dream of creating thousands of American jobs and feeding millions of people.

They garnered the support of a senior military General and his wife, who were so inspired that they decided to do anything they could to help other veterans find meaningful work healing communities by teaching them how to build and run their own sustainable food-producing systems.

I returned late last summer to where I grew up in the Adirondack Mountains, I imagined those veterans partnering with industry leaders, scientists, Hollywood producers and Texas oilmen in a project that could create millions of domestic jobs while solving America’s core challenges: sustainable food, health, energy, education and infrastructure. The model had been set by my grandparents’ generation when returning World War II Veterans re-built America into a modern age.

From Imagination to Reality…

Since I left MSNBC and dylanratigan.com last June, I first started working with these inspiring visionary veterans on the phone, and then in person to expand their dream and help turn it into a reality. The process alone has restored meaning and purpose in my life, my health and spirit have taken on a renewed vitality and, because of my time with you, I have had the opportunity and privilege to literally put my money where my mouth is.

Last Fall, I moved from NYC to north San Diego County, just outside of the Camp Pendleton Marine Base, to work full-time with Colin and Karen Archipley at their hydroponic organic farm, “Archi’s Acres.” After realizing how impressive their ideas and effectiveness are, I decided to invest the money that I earned for writing Greedy Bastards (which when combined with a loan from Whole Foods) to build a 30,000 square foot “farm incubator” that can serve as the prototype for job-creating, water-saving, food-producing, veteran-led hydroponic organic greenhouses nationwide. We’ve even enlisted Major General Melvin Spiese and his wife Filomena to join us in support of our mission to make this program more diverse and robust enough to build it into a nationwide network.

http://www.cryptogon.com/?p=34173

http://www.dylanratigan.com/2013/03/20/ … -mouth-is/

How awesome and wonderful, warriors turning into gardeners. smile

#58 Tue 26th Mar 2013 09:44 am

Valentine

applause

Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear.  Mark Twain

#59 Thu 28th Mar 2013 11:23 am

SW

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/ … ur-garden/

The Four Steps Required to Keep Monsanto OUT of Your Garden

Seed catalogs are starting to arrive in mailboxes across the Northern Hemisphere with home gardeners everywhere starting to plan which seeds they will sow in their spring gardens.

A positive trend in recent years is the growing number of gardening enthusiasts choosing to plant gardens using organic and/or heirloom seeds.

What most of these home gardeners don’t realize is that corporate behemoth and GMO titan Monsanto has been gobbling up the seed market faster than a caterpillar can munch a tomato plant! With one fell swoop in 2005, Monsanto grabbed approximately 40% of the US vegetable seed market with its acquisition of Seminis.

This means that a home gardener could unknowingly be supporting the development and proliferation of genetically modified crops if the seeds used are from Seminis.  In addition, Monsanto now apparently owns many of the names of the seed varieties themselves!

see article for links to all the seed companies and "names" of vegetable plants that Monsanto now owns.

#60 Sat 30th Mar 2013 02:08 pm

molly
♫♪
Website

Great link! I will share it on other places within the netz.
I recently got banned from Monsanto's Facebook page LOL.. i kept just posting this video on all of their posts... Guess they don't like the Tomato Cha-Cha! tongue

Board footer