Noble Dreams

Noble Dreams

You are not logged in.

#1 Fri 12th Apr 2013 11:04 am

SW

The power of kindness

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/family-l … loved.html

Cast-Out Boy in New School Becomes Beloved as 'The Doorman'

Bullied every day for years because of his lisp, Josh Yandt and his family moved to London, Ontario, in 2011. Determined not to be "put in a box" by his new classmates, the remarkable young man dramatically changed the trajectory of his life with one small idea: he would hold open the door at school each day.

It was his chance to break out of a depression-filled past. He held the door open for hundreds of teenagers that first morning - and every morning since. At first they didn't know what to make of the stranger who quietly offered them greetings day after day. But then, something happened.

Absolutely amazing story that I needed to read today. I have been through so many troubles in my life and always, always retreated into a shell, and some "parasite" inside of me spewed hate. I could only see mean people who hated me, a life that was not fair. Did this "parasite" help me in at all? It only made me sadder and madder and I held nothing but pity parties. I see so many teenagers with this same look in their eyes. And it's really the look of fear. The fear of not being loved and accepted.

But one day I got lucky and I discovered that I could be brave, I could smile first, I could say hello first. I could be kind.

And oh the miracles that happened....................

But it's not easy and not everyday is a day filled with smiles. But I have learned to never let that "parasite" own me again. I just smile and keep on.

Please share with your kids. They might be needing to read this today too. And please watch the video. And the wonder..........

hjartapar

HOPE is the thing with feathers   
That perches in the soul,   
And sings the tune without the words,   
And never stops at all        Emily Dickinson

#2 Fri 12th Apr 2013 04:45 pm

Valentine

Re: The power of kindness

Our children need this now more than ever.  Read of another suicide by a girl who was the victim of sexual assault while passed out at a party and, like the others, was paraded all over the internet and taunted until she couldn't take it any more.  IN WHAT F'D UP UNIVERSE IS A VICTIM MADE TO FEEL ASHAMED AND THE PERPETRATORS PROTECTED???  These bully victims need to understand that they have nothing to be ashamed of and that they don't have to take in the poison sent their way.  In their vulnerable state they allowed these predators to cast their spell on them, and, indeed, it was an evil spell.

Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear.  Mark Twain

#3 Sat 13th Apr 2013 02:42 am

wondersoflife

SW:  Thanks for the article...  I'm in London, Ont.  It's an awesome place to be.  Kind people everywhere...

Valentine:  About that story of sexual assault.  Bad choices lead to bad things.  I agree that bullies should take responsibility for their actions but passing out at a party isn't exactly the best example of a teenager either.  Bad things happened because adolescents abused a serious, mind you, poisonous substance.  Period.

#4 Sat 13th Apr 2013 10:30 am

SW

I agree bad choices lead to bad things. But that also rings to reinforcing that old law of making the bad choices the female's fault, and as such she is the bad girl. All bad choices deserve appropriate reaction. The image of the woman having to walk around wearing the red sign of an adulteress came into my mind.

And how lucky to live in such a wonderful town where life is respected and kindness is your daily bread.

#5 Sat 13th Apr 2013 05:14 pm

wondersoflife

SW:  I was just speaking in general.  No intention of suggesting any "old laws".   Could very well have been a young boy who drank, drove, injured or killed someone, ended up in jail and was raped by other inmates.  Examples are many...

#6 Sat 20th Apr 2013 10:09 pm

SW

I concur, my feminine torch is always burning. Sorry to have jumped on you.

Board footer