Noble Dreams

Noble Dreams

You are not logged in.

#1 Fri 25th Jan 2013 10:05 pm

SW

The Hero's Journey

Life is a constant never ending journey, and to answer the call and partake in this journey is our first obligation. Life seems to be never stable or sure footed for me lately and I have wasted a lot of energy fighting it instead of just closing my eyes and believing and taking that first step into the unknown. I visited this wonderful place that has lots of tricky quirky fortune telling messages. http://www.zaporacle.com/thezaporacle.html The Zap Oracle told me this was where I was and what I needed to understand.

1. Defining where the querent is right now.    
Answering the Call to Adventure
The hero's journey always begins with answering the call to adventure. The journey will always involve a descent into darkness, but it must be undertaken if we are to fulfill our destiny. As Shakespeare wrote in Julius Caesar, "There is a tide in the affairs of men, which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; Omitted, all the voyage of their life Is bound in shallows and in miseries."

Many of the worst regrets are not for what was done, but for what remains undone. And remember that the call to adventure comes in very unexpected forms and makes demands that may be offensive to rationality, practicality and "good sense." If you've read Tolkien's The Hobbit, you may remember how one part of Bilbo answered the call to adventure, while another part, the sensible, respectable middle-aged property owner part, resisted at almost every step.

Joseph Campbell wrote,

"This first stage of the mythological journey - which we have designated the "call to adventure" - signifies that destiny has summoned the hero and transferred his spiritual center of gravity from within the pale of his society to a zone unknown. This fateful region of both treasure and danger may be variously represented: as a distant land, a forest, a kingdom underground, beneath the waves, or above the sky, a secret island, lofty mountaintop, or profound dream state; but it is always a place of strangely fluid and polymorphous beings, unimaginable torments, superhuman deeds, and impossible delight. The hero can go forth of his own volition to accomplish the adventure, as did Theseus when he arrived in his father's city, Athens, and heard the horrible history of the Minotaur; or he may be carried or sent abroad by some benign or malignant agent as was Odysseus, driven about the Mediterranean by the winds of the angered god, Poseidon. The adventure may begin as a mere blunder or still again, one may be only casually strolling when some passing phenomenon catches the wandering eye and lures one away from the frequented paths of man. Examples might be multiplied, ad infinitum, from every corner of the world."

Campbell also wrote about what happens if the call to adventure is not answered:

"Refusal of the summons converts the adventure into its negative. Walled in boredom, hard work, or 'culture,' the subject loses the power of significant affirmative action and becomes a victim to be saved. His flowering world becomes a wasteland of dry stones and his life feels meaningless - even though, like King Minos, he may through titanic effort succeed in building an empire or renown. Whatever house he builds, it will be a house of death: a labyrinth of cyclopean walls to hide from him his minotaur. All he can do is create new problems for himself and await the gradual approach of his disintegration."

Depending on the position of this card, consider whether this may be the time to answer the call to adventure.
Read an excellent article on the Monomyth the universal mythic structure which begins with the call to adventure.

In my most autobiographical essay, The Path of the Numinous, I write about several calls to adventure and how I answered them.

So I took that first step and entered and anyone who enjoys the journey is welcome to join along

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomyth

Joseph Campbell's monomyth, or the hero's journey, is a basic pattern that its proponents argue is found in many narratives from around the world. This widely distributed pattern was described by Campbell in The Hero with a Thousand Faces (1949).[1] An enthusiast of novelist James Joyce, Campbell borrowed the term monomyth from Joyce's Finnegans Wake.[2]

Campbell held that numerous myths from disparate times and regions share fundamental structures and stages, which he summarized in The Hero with a Thousand Faces:

A hero ventures forth from the world of common day into a region of supernatural wonder: fabulous forces are there encountered and a decisive victory is won: the hero comes back from this mysterious adventure with the power to bestow boons on his fellow man.[3]

Campbell and other scholars, such as Erich Neumann, describe narratives of Gautama Buddha, Moses, and Christ in terms of the monomyth and Campbell argues that classic myths from many cultures follow this basic pattern

HOPE is the thing with feathers   
That perches in the soul,   
And sings the tune without the words,   
And never stops at all        Emily Dickinson

#2 Sat 26th Jan 2013 02:32 pm

11eagle11

Re: The Hero's Journey

Go For It, SW : )

It IS the Time...like no other!

Happy Trails and Onward and Upward!

Society, as we know it, will become un-known...in the Best of Ways!

"Let Your Spirit Soar!"

#3 Sat 26th Jan 2013 03:59 pm

molly
♫♪
Website

SW wrote:

Life is a constant never ending journey, and to answer the call and partake in this journey is our first obligation. Life seems to be never stable or sure footed for me lately and I have wasted a lot of energy fighting it instead of just closing my eyes and believing and taking that first step into the unknown.

Aint that the truth!

Nice website, SW. Thanks for sharing! I hope you're doing alright.

The oracle..I did one myself & really enjoyed the photos & in-depth description within the results, even has a bonding of psychological & spiritual aspects. Pretty neat.

Not sure of its accuracy though..

8. Most effective stance Molly can take right now: Erotic Connection

rodnar whaaaaat? haha

#4 Fri 1st Feb 2013 10:08 pm

SW

LOL! angel

I am doing well. I am trying very hard to stop fighting and just go with where life wants to bring me. And accept it. Easy to say but so hard to do. My children are all grown up and out of the house and I feel lost. But I am still very much in love with my husband and time for us. It has been a lot of loss for me, my children, my doggies, and now time to move on. But I do so love adventure and taking that first step into a new journey. Working on learning to trust.

I am glad you are sounding good.

Last edited by SW (Fri 1st Feb 2013 10:17 pm)

#5 Mon 4th Feb 2013 04:36 pm

molly
♫♪
Website

Hmm perhaps taking it literally could do well for you both, sounds like a good time to go on a vacation! cool

I'm glad to hear you two get along still. That gives me hope as far as marriage goes. Some times i see how my parents are together & it makes me reluctant to ever be committed with someone. I know some couples DO last & some even live to be in their 100's together! but yeah i was raised around two people that are the poster children of why divorce is not always a bad idea lol.

#6 Fri 22nd Mar 2013 07:26 am

SW

Missed that message above Molly. I am the oops child of two accidental parents who ended up miserable being together. But I am so very lucky (it was not easy) to have my husband and love of my life. How he put up with me is a miracle! big_smile
http://curiousityshop.blogspot.com/2007 … -down.html A little of the story of my parents and me.

I love how that little kid in SiriArc's video spoke that he believes that life is a constant quest and our mission to figure out what the quest is all about! How profound.

http://dailygrail.com/Mind-Mysteries/20 … oring-Mind

Another nicely done piece by Jason Silva, though my phlegmatic personality sometimes wants him to just chill a bit and get some of those concepts across without the adrenalin-infused hype and activity.

I agree, but a nicely done video which makes all my neurons happy.

"You know something. What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your whole life" - The Matrix

It is also inspired by some of the writing of Erik Davis in Techgnosis.com about the hero's journey taken by NEO in the Matrix in order to understand who he is:

"Neo must then face his own Cartesian "passage through madness," melting into a mirror that alludes not only to Lewis Carroll but to the mystic-psychotic collapse and disappearance of the externalized ego that stabilizes our inner void. As Neo phases out of the Matrix, he opens up, however briefly, the fractured bardo that is the secret thrill of every fan of the "false reality" genre: the moment when baseline reality dissolves but no new world has yet emerged in its pixelating wake. This is the most radical moment of the cogito, but it's tough to sustain."

#7 Sat 30th Mar 2013 02:06 pm

molly
♫♪
Website

SW, I want to thank you for posting this topic. All you've said is so inspiring & I also loved reading your blog hjarta

You've been through some rough times for sure but you are still so strong, lively, & optimistic. I've learned a good bit from the users of this forum, especially you. I've spiritually adopted you as my motherly guidance in times where my mother isn't doing too great a job lol, i hope you don't mind wink

Sorry i'm not on much lately. I've been very busy & social! Making lots of new friends, music & art connections, even met a sweetheart i'm having the time of my life with so far hjarta

It's taken me a while to get out of my introverted, pessimistic dark pit of 'blah' but i gotta say that this forum has helped a bit. I think we all have it in us, it's just about reminding each other when we need to be reminded.

Thanks so much smile

#8 Sat 30th Mar 2013 10:09 pm

Merci

That was an amazing story... thank you for sharing. hjarta

#9 Sat 23rd Aug 2014 11:47 am

SW

We have reached the point where we need to decide what kind of world do we really want to live in -

To live in a world of kindness?

http://freefromharm.org/videos/parts-of-a-chicken/

#10 Thu 18th Jun 2015 08:17 am

SW

https://vimeo.com/115006689

Joseph Campbell - The Hero's Journey Movie

"opportunities to find deeper powers within ourselves come when life seems most challenging." - Joseph Campbell

Well worth your time. It's so funny whenever I see a video that's over an hour long, I am like oh I don't possibly have the time to watch that. It's been raining and raining so much. So when I am bored I am on the computer, started to watch and couldn't stop. It's very good. Funny how much of our time on the internet is now wasted. (Me anyways).

Board footer