Noble Dreams

Noble Dreams

You are not logged in.

#1 Sun 2nd Aug 2015 05:55 am

SW

Ex Machina

http://dailygrail.com/Reviews/2015/7/Review-Ex-Machina

One day the AIs are going to look back on us the same way we look at fossil skeletons on the plains of Africa. An upright ape living in dust with crude language and tools, all set for extinction.

I am not sure why we seem to be so intent on creating life this way, perhaps we remember being "created".

The future reality of artificial intelligence seemed to edge a little closer this week with the news that Elon Musk, Stephen Hawking and Steve Wozniak - along with 1000 researchers - had put their name to an open letter calling for a ban on AI in robotic warfare systems. Meanwhile, in TV and movies we’ve seen an influx of AI-themed stories such as Person of Interest, Her, the upcoming Westworld, and now the science fiction film Ex Machina.

This movie stunned me and my husband. We were both left speechless at the end. And so funny how we both were happy at the end. Very thought provoking.

HOPE is the thing with feathers   
That perches in the soul,   
And sings the tune without the words,   
And never stops at all        Emily Dickinson

#2 Mon 3rd Aug 2015 11:35 am

Sencha

Re: Ex Machina

'Meanwhile, in TV and movies we’ve seen an influx of AI-themed stories such as Person of Interest, Her, the upcoming Westworld, and now the science fiction film Ex Machina.'

This one has been showing on UK TV recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU4mwlTUXnc

'Tea is drunk to forget the din of the world' - T’ien Yiheng.

#3 Tue 4th Aug 2015 04:08 pm

SW

The AI theme topic is one that has attracted my attention for a long time. Humans have been fascinated with it forever it seems. But why? To play at being a creator? So many scenarios out there as to how it will play out. I think badly, because I think there are so many damn bad humans. But the movie above shows how it is one of those things that we question ourselves from the inside out regarding. I do not think we are ready in any way shape or form to be allowed this technology. I have dreamed of us leaving the earth and becoming true space travelers, but sadly I also pray that we do not accomplish this either. We are just too "f**ked up as a race to allow any of us to do these things.

But............a great, great change is happening and we are becoming more. But oh so much to change. Especially here in America. Who knew how evil we would become.

But if we all send our attention to the good that we can be, perhaps, we can change all of that. Money is power, true, but there are many, many forms of power.

But the question of AI is not about AI, but about us and who we are. We would enslave them. We are so good at that.

HOPE is the thing with feathers   
That perches in the soul,   
And sings the tune without the words,   
And never stops at all        Emily Dickinson

#4 Wed 5th Aug 2015 12:09 pm

Sencha

But the question of AI is not about AI, but about us and who we are. We would enslave them. We are so good at that.

That's a very good point! And further enslave ourselves too, no doubt. Still, like you say, great change is happening - and they're afraid of it.

'Tea is drunk to forget the din of the world' - T’ien Yiheng.

#5 Fri 7th Aug 2015 11:50 am

SiriArc
AD VO ZIN

Bashar
You Are Masters Of Limitation

You Project Outward
Until You Are Able
To Accept Inward

Anubis
I Perform Psychostatis
Give Thou Me Thy Hand