Noble Dreams

Noble Dreams

You are not logged in.

#1 Wed 6th Apr 2016 05:36 pm

SW

The heart of our culture is longing to restore balance…

Charles Eisenstein -

My sons aren’t going to college.

When I was a teenager, college was an unquestioned, even unquestionable, follow-up to high school. Everyone around me assumed that anyone who was "intelligent" enough would go to a university, unless they had some kind of personal problem like drugs. The smartest, hardest-working, most deserving students would go to the best colleges, the average students would go to state schools, and the dumber kids would go to some kind of vocational school or enter the workforce.

In other words, there was an unconscious endorsement of our culture’s system of elite training, knowledge production, and formation of the child into an adult. If you didn’t follow the system’s life-trajectory-map, then there was something wrong with you (and not with the system).

Today that has changed. The universities, once among the healthiest and most independent institutions of our society, are now hopelessly dysfunctional, as many of my friends teaching within them attest. Not only do they entrap students in debt, but the main product they offer, which long ago ceased to be knowledge but has become a diploma, is less and less reliable as a ticket to the American Dream.

Furthermore, the education that academic institutions offer is absurdly out of step with what many young people are interested in today, and with what the world needs today. Both in content and pedagogy, these institutions seek to conform students to a society that is quickly passing. Although there are some bold exceptions on the fringes, and many wonderful teachers in the heart of even the most conservative universities, and even administrators fighting to change things, the institutions have enormous inertia. The things that make many of the brightest young people come alive are not to be found there.

Instead, many of them are leaving the accredited world behind. Like my son Jimi, who will be taking the Odyssey Fellowship Program at Pickards Mountain Eco-Institute. It’s a 10-week program based around permaculture, earth-based skills, community living, interpersonal skills, etc., with lots of empty time built in for intellectual, musical, artistic, and social pursuits. After that he is doing gardening at a summer camp. It isn’t that he is unintellectual; he has become a voracious reader and has begun exploring philosophy in a serious way. Maybe he will end up in school again, but it won’t be by reflex.

My second son, Matthew, age 17, is less likely to ever go to college or even finish high school. He is doing carpentry work and self-educating himself on reddit. It’s not due to any mental incapacity that he is avoiding school. He just finds the rituals of education (exams, homework, deadlines, etc.) confining and oppressive.

Every day I hear from young people who are in a similar situation. Unlike Jimi and Matthew, many ensure parental pressure to go to school to at least “keep their options open.” But unless they have a real passion for something that is still best learned in school, mathematics perhaps, or engineering, I encourage them to choose surroundings that resonate with who they really are and who they want to become. Do not keep the option open to gain a tenuous foothold in a dying game.

If you are a parent, afraid for your child’s future, the best thing you can do is support them in exploring the budding structures of a future ecological and just society. It is amazing how many parents will happily pay $30,000 a year for college but balk at the $2000 for a program like Pickards that prepares people for a future worth living in.

http://eco-institute.org/#home

http://eco-institute.org/odysseyfellowship/

Are you feeling disconnected from your spirit, from the spirit of community, and from the spirit of Earth?

Do you find yourself dreaming of the possibilities of a new world?

Are you ready to step into your fullest expression and play your role in the
co-creation of that world?

“ Tell them something new is happening, a new vision, a new energy, a new sacred story is coming into being in the transition from one era to another.”

— Thomas Berry

So much change is happening, so many of us feel frightened and lost, but not to worry.

HOPE is the thing with feathers   
That perches in the soul,   
And sings the tune without the words,   
And never stops at all        Emily Dickinson

#2 Thu 7th Apr 2016 01:34 pm

Sencha

Re: The heart of our culture is longing to restore balance…

I wouldn't encourage anyone to go to uni nowadays, unless they have a realistic chance of securing a very well-paying dream job at the end of it. It used to be free here and while I don't mind paying something towards a degree, those of us who were caught up in the first batch of student loans have been well & truly shafted by our gov, who, a few years back, decided to sell all outstanding loans to a debt collection agency - yet no forewarning of any such action was given in the original terms & conditions and had it been, then I suspect many would have thought twice. Luckily, my own loan was small, but kids graduating from UK uni's today are looking at a mortgage-sized debt - before they've even gotten onto the property ladder.

And you know what really takes the piss? My local uni (along with many others) is offering a number of free degree courses to Middle Eastern economic migrants, who have already received free local-authority housing after jumping the queue  ahead of thousands of local people who've been on the waiting list for years and are also in dire need of accommodation, and are also being given free financial benefits to live on at our tax-payers expense (despite having never paid anything into the system themselves). To make it worse, in the majority of cases (in my experience), they look down on our society with disdain, disrespect our culture and refuse to integrate.

And that's not Far Right propaganda, as the PC machine would have the world believe; I see it every day in my city, as do many others in cities all across Western Europe.

I understand the situation has been deliberately designed to cause animosity and hatred, while the migrants themselves are also being exploited and used as pawns by those unseen hands that are playing a very dangerous game with all our lives, but that doesn't mean I'm going to embrace them and their demented views with open arms, any more than I'll accept their scrounging asses fleecing the system for all they can get. (The exception being the small minority that are genuine asylum seekers.)

Despite the usual images of 'desperate' kids & women you see on TV, on Yahoo, etc., the vast majority of these migrants are young men aged from their late teens up to their 30's, who look fit & healthy and in many cases have one thing in common: despite our generosity in providing them with homes, money to live on, free qualifications, etc., they resent England, the UK, Western society, and most of what we stand for.

As a general rule, I wouldn't trust Donald Trump as far as I could throw him, but, in principal, regarding mass-muslim migration I believe he's right. The question is, how to reconcile the reality that is the orchestrated slow extinction of the Western European ways of life, with the understanding that, essentially, we are all - as a race - individuated expressions of the same higher love.

I imagine a soldier, while wading through a waist-deep river in the jungle, may experience a similar dilemma: if a leech finds its way up his shorts leg and attaches to one of his balls, will he allow the leech to take up permanent residence as he observes the principal of unconditional love and respects its right to 'practice its ways,' or does he take out his Zippo and fry the bugger's ass until it lets go - thus safeguarding his future offspring?

I like the following quote that was recently posted here (I think), and maybe its advice applies to how best to deal with this situation.

'It’s dark because you are trying too hard. Lightly child, lightly. Learn to do everything lightly. Yes, feel lightly even though you’re feeling deeply. Just lightly let things happen and lightly cope with them. So throw away your baggage and go forward. There are quicksands all about you, sucking at your feet, trying to suck you down into fear and self-pity and despair. That’s why you must walk so lightly. Lightly my darling...'

Aldous Huxley, Island

Last edited by Sencha (Thu 7th Apr 2016 06:51 pm)

'Tea is drunk to forget the din of the world' - T’ien Yiheng.

#3 Thu 7th Apr 2016 01:37 pm

Sencha

I've gone off on a tangent from your original post, SW. I'm just letting off steam - call it therapy.

#4 Sat 9th Apr 2016 10:24 pm

SW

You speak for many of us Sencha - the world feels crazy and bizarre, and it is most certainly NOT my world or I take it yours. Well I think admitting that and taking it one step further, how do we make it ours? I find messages all the time that whisper to me, but it is scary to believe and feels so damn complicated.

But is it? Perhaps a journal would help me to see that I do have choices as to what my world looks like. It most certainly does not look like this one.

Now if it is not either of ours, who does it belong to? And how do we get ours back? This one is crazy and mad and feels like the world in Alice in Wonderland where everyone sits around drinking tea and playing games while murder goes on all around you.

“Today we live in a society in which spurious realities are manufactured by the media, by governments, by big corporations, by religious groups, political groups... So I ask, in my writing, What is real? Because unceasingly we are bombarded with pseudo-realities manufactured by very sophisticated people using very sophisticated electronic mechanisms. I do not distrust their motives; I distrust their power. They have a lot of it. And it is an astonishing power: that of creating whole universes, universes of the mind. I ought to know. I do the same thing.”

― Philip K. Dick

https://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2016 … -asleep-2/

Consciousness and a world asleep

by Jon Rappoport

April 8, 2016

When a human being is asleep, which is to say, in a trance, he continues to create subconsciously, because creation doesn’t stop.

The question is: what is the purpose of the trance?

It’s a state of mind aimed at excluding alternative realities. So a person can be walking around and carrying on with his life, and yet he is in that trance.

He sees reality around him and it rarely occurs to him that everything could be different. More importantly, it never occurs to him that he could create something quite different. Nor does he imagine that, if he expressed, in some way, what he really thinks, he would then be inventing another reality, which is, in fact, powerful.

Nor does it occur to him that what he could invent has no boundaries.

So I’m talking about a “reality trance.” It is ruled by What Is. It seeks to see and imitate What Already Is.

In this trance, a person has absolutely no idea about the difference between what he thinks and what he REALLY thinks. He would only find out the difference by starting to express what he thinks—that process would lead him out, eventually, into new territory. If he stayed with it long enough, if he played out the string on his conventional thoughts, he would find himself in a new land.

In this life, we have two choices. We can create what already is, or we can create what isn’t and never was.

The second choice is the vast adventure, which, when embarked upon, lets a person know why he’s alive.

What is called mind control is everything a person does to himself to curtail and develop amnesia about the vast adventure.

But there are people out there who were looking for something else, something beyond group concerns that could trap them forever—concerns that build a wall between them and their own creative power.
Creative power—this “little selfish preoccupation,” as it’s been called—is the difference between night and day, civilization and chaos, desire fulfilled and victimhood, life-force and walking death, deception and insight, fierce joy and a sinkhole in which the same emotions go around and around and around.

The reason behind the reason I write about fraud and crime and conspiracy in public life is: I want to expose how reality is being built for us. How perverse designers are constructing a collective mural of existence.

Understanding that, one can begin to see how he can create other realities—without end.

It’s as if we’re living in a huge room with no ceiling and yet we’re behaving as if there is a ceiling 10-feet high. The “10-feet high” is the result of amnesia about our own imaginations.

The purpose of the collective is destruction of imagination.

But imagination can never be destroyed. All individuals can do is force themselves to stay asleep about it.

Or decide to wake up.

Over and above everything I’m pointing out in this article, imagination is the wild card in the deck. It’s the greatest wild card ever known. It is, in fact, the cutting edge of consciousness. It invents new realities. It releases gigantic amounts of buried energy. And it’s entirely an individual proposition.

I built my second collection, Exit From The Matrix, on that basis: the liberation and expansion of imagination. Not just in theory, but in practice. There are dozens of imagination techniques to work with.

http://www.crystalinks.com/holographic.html
Everything you could ever want to know about the fact that so many scientists say that our world is a hologram. I just can't grasp that.

I think life is much more complicated than that. But I am enchanted with imagination and look at all the wonders that has created. But it seems to be so many souls that are totally unaware of life, and truly are the walking dead.

#5 Sun 10th Apr 2016 05:57 am

SW

http://www.innerlight.org.uk/index.html

A place that is in London and might be something you would like.

#6 Tue 12th Apr 2016 12:40 pm

Sencha

I initially made a long post in response to your last one, but upon reading it again just it seemed like rambling - so I deleted it. I'll try again another day when my head is clearer (see below).

It's funny you included that link to various discussions on the nature of our reality, including those suggesting we're possibly living in a simulation, because over the same weekend you posted I was with a group of old stoner mates and we had our first session together since I quit 16 years ago. One of the enduring discussions over our two day spliffathon was that very subject: Are we living in a computer game/simulated reality? I wish I'd opened the link while with them, then we could have blown our minds even more by discussing some of the articles.

Last edited by Sencha (Wed 13th Apr 2016 02:18 pm)

#7 Tue 12th Apr 2016 04:40 pm

Sencha

I meant to say thanks for that London link. Looks interesting...

#8 Wed 13th Apr 2016 08:19 am

SW

I thought it did too. I am considering doing the non member one for other locations.

Just had to run and post this quote -

"The elementary idea...of the Promised Land cannot originally have referred to a part of this earth to be conquered by military might, but to a place of spiritual peace in the heart, to be discovered through contemplation.... Joseph Campbell

#9 Wed 13th Apr 2016 10:16 am

Sencha

I've emailed that link to a friend in London, as I think he may be interested and it's right on his doorstep.

Last edited by Sencha (Wed 13th Apr 2016 10:18 am)

Board footer